All in vs ABS - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » All in vs ABS

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread
Default All in vs ABS

Interesting comments in the vid thread for the most part

So I thought I'd start one on the traditional "All IN" vs "WTF ABS" spins. Sounds like pumping the brakes might work better in ABS cars during a spin... or at least a release and reapply? Comments?

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM

John

Thanks, TR. I was actually just about to start this thread myself, because I drive an ABS car and haven't really heard much about spinning other than "Both Feet In" which is apparently not always correct. I'm also a little surprised at how little I've heard about it in classrooms considering the number of people droving with ABS now, particularly in the lower run groups.

Past:
1986 951 - sold
1987 944 S2 Conversion - sold
1989 944 NA - sold
1986 944 NA - donated
Old 11-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Toby

Gas!

More seriously though, if the car is already in a spin, unless the drover can manage threshold braking while on grass, just let the ABS do the work. More importantly, it keeps the car from rolling toward the unsuspecting drover behind once the spinning stops.

The only difference I see is with ABS, both feet in and keep steering.

Previous:
2009 Boxster S (Kate, Molly's Dirty Sister)
1991 964 C2 Coupe (Tory)
2001 Boxster S (Dirty Molly)
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Potomac-Greg

I always suspected that "both feet in" on ABS did not have the same effect as in non-ABS cars. On my non-abs car, when the tires lock up, they're no longer influencing the direction of the car and it should continue in whatever direction its going. But ABS would unlock them and provide direction.

If I was driving an ABS car, it would still be both-feet-in, but expect the car to go where the tires are pointed. In the NSX video, he was basically toast before he countersteered.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
with ABS, both feet in and keep steering.
x2

Keeping your foot on the brake still slows the car.

Keeping you foot on the clutch prevents turning the engine backwards once you go 'round.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 11-24-2009, 01:43 PM

John Clay

Having only spun once in the Boxster (no abs on the '44), I was caught a bit by surprise when the direction the steering wheel was pointed started to matter. TR, what would the concept be on pumping the brakes? The big reason I've been told for both feet in is to be predictable to those behind us. I wonder how much consistenty there is in a "both feet in" spinning ABS car?
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Landjet

A related question- how do you determine, when the back end is loose, whether to lift or accelerate? I see these drifting guys stay on the accelerator for control, whereas so far I have used a slight lift off the accelerator to straiten the car. Plus I always hear lifting off in a rear engined car causes spinning. Personally I think emergency measures are hardly talked about or anylized in the classroom. Yes you hear drive straight off but not much in the way of various situational analysis. Even tailgating is rarely discussed in the lower run group classrooms, and I was in an instructors car this summer when tailgating caused him to loose control and spin.

Last edited by Landjet; 11-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
x2

Keeping you foot on the clutch prevents turning the engine backwards once you go 'round.
was really talking about the 180 spin condition. U-no when you were droving witht the mirrors. ofcourse keeping your foot on the clutch would be seen as a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
Having only spun once in the Boxster (no abs on the '44), I was caught a bit by surprise when the direction the steering wheel was pointed started to matter. TR, what would the concept be on pumping the brakes? The big reason I've been told for both feet in is to be predictable to those behind us. I wonder how much consistenty there is in a "both feet in" spinning ABS car?
I imagine if spin was fast enough there wouldn't be an issue. pumping the brakes is the "old fashion way." I was trying to get to the issue of the ABS releasing the wheels all together when going backwards. I was looking for info on ABS techniques since though I do have ABS cars I have seldom driven them down the shut backwards (yet)

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM

John Clay

Larry - I can't imagine ever applying brakes because the back end is "loose". This discussion is what to do when you're past the point of avoiding a spin.....ignore Toby's video.

As for what to do when the back end is loose, my answer would be to do the opposite of what caused it to be loose. Too much throttle - less throttle. Not enough throttle (causing too much weight in front, or using the rear wheels to slow the car through the transmission) - more throttle.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM

pjalexandre

I think Steve has it nailed down. You want to reduce your speed before you leave the surface of the track. 9 times out of 10 you will simply slide to a stop on the track surface.

NSX everything is over at 3:05. He makes a double move on the steering wheel and the car's track is definitely initially going off of T4 but he second move on the steering wheel (almost immediately) pinches him towards the apex putting the car into a skid. At this point he could have stood on the brakes and looped it instead of counter steering into the wall.

This is the same reason that folks hit the inside of 9 into the trees and also hit the inside of 10 into the tire wall. Time and time again.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen folks sliding left and right and then leave the track and hit the brakes on the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
x2