Potomac October 2013 DE - Page 7 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Potomac October 2013 DE

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
... One issue I keep seeing consistently, however, is this "DE line" thing, which tends to promote late turn-ins and apex but that line becomes an issue as drivers' speed increase, particularly in turns 3, 4 and 10; I think it starts to become dangerous in some cases.

Two clips; Day 2 which was a little crowded, but still fun, and Day 3 last session which was superbly fun. The Caymans were really driven impressively.
Not sure what you mean by this? The line I was taught back in the day and that i teach now is pretty much what the racers use when they have open track. Of course they go faster, hold tighter etc. I found that when I was driving L's 964 this weekend it worked really well w/street tyres as long as you opened up the wheel in the turn (like we teach our students).

A true 7/10ths Friday for me. Just wanted some track time and a chance to checkout the 964 since we got it back together.

BTW sliding around on streets is still a hoot

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
One issue I keep seeing consistently, however, is this "DE line" thing, which tends to promote late turn-ins and apex but that line becomes an issue as drivers' speed increase, particularly in turns 3, 4 and 10; I think it starts to become dangerous in some cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranko View Post
I saw the same (and drove that line by accident a few times). Did a few slight drifts through 10 on shot tires and too late an entry to 10.
The highlight of the weekend for me was taking an instructor out for the second session Saturday. Following a few warm-up laps all I heard was faster, faster, faster - floor it – floor it –floor it!!! She showed me a new line around three and four, some trail braking in five and six, also slightly altered my line in nine and ten. Haven’t checked the video yet, I’m guessing two seconds. Promptly put the information right to work, I finally was able to hang with a certain Teener that had eluded me the previous weekend. Also had fun chasing down a couple of 44 Turbo’s and Cayman S or two. Took another instructor out Sunday for the second session and he had very little to add, which I took as a complement. Thank you both for the help it was quite the epiphany.

What a fun weekend, great seeing old friends and making new ones. Old number 2 took quite the pounding, six track days out of the last ten and she is running very well.

I was offered some assistance with set up this off season that I cannot refuse, so lots of work to do.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
fighting wicked turtle head from Mexican the night before.
This problem makes me drove faster.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Shock Whisperer

ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread

Phenomenal weekend -- weather was fantastic, track was great, and my car actually ran. Swapped different control arms in the eleventh hour before the DE and had troubles with the sway bar bushings coming out of the mounting brackets (they're not drop links on the new control arms ). Hoodpin helped supply a couple hose clamps to cure the issue after I realized that I had left my bolt boxes at home. I'm happy to report that my best-guess alignment I gave it after swapping the arms was pretty damn spot on.

Fun part was that due to the turbo + cold weather, my car made a MILLION HORSEPOWER. I loved attempting to keep up with Paul in his Cobra and Karl in his 914. While my times weren't exactly where I wanted them, I was very pleased with the consistency.

But by far the best part of the weekend was that Anisa effing drove. And drove well, from what I could see. She's obviously still got a lot to learn but I'm blown away by her mechanics and SA. I was able to take some in-car video and she's smooth, calm, and has fantastic awareness -- the latter being particularly important considering the number of point-by's she was required to give.

It was also great finally meeting a few Dorkis as well, namely Dr. K, Patrick 3000 and Roundel.

Quote:
As it was discussed during the instructors meeting, I am very impressed with many of the up and coming drivers. I rode with several white and black drivers, they have really solid fundamentals. One issue I keep seeing consistently, however, is this "DE line" thing, which tends to promote late turn-ins and apex but that line becomes an issue as drivers' speed increase, particularly in turns 3, 4 and 10; I think it starts to become dangerous in some cases.
This also confuses me. There seemed to be some confusion in the White classroom on this subject; fortunately there was quite the dearth of very experienced instructors (BMAN, John and Melany Sullivan, Alan Herod, etc) in there to offer opinions. For example, here was one confusing quote:

"The later you apex through T8 and T9, the better. These are patience, patience corners. Later is better."

Quote:
Thanks as always to all the volunteers. The support at morning tech has been fantastic. I think we were teching about 4 cars at once and all went very quickly and smoothly. Thanks everyone.
Tech was wicked-quick on both days. Thanks so much to everyone who made it possible!

Quote:
I'd also like to thank ausgeflippt951 (Collin) and 987kmns (Mihnea) for helping me attain a constant stream of personal bests last weekend. Collin analyzed my data from the CR DE and I applied many of his recommendations. Mihnea (my carrot!) and I were able to break into the 22s on Sunday (Mihnea more in the lower 22s than me!). I also had a blast attempting to run with the GT3s in the black/red session. Great times. I'll post some videos when I find the time to process them later this week.
Hey you're easy to analyze -- fast drivers make my life easier... You were haulin'. With some anti-ice-pedal brakes I'll bet you'd hit 21's, easy.

Quote:
One other thing I learned this weekend. Beware starting a pass right before pit out. I was halfway across the track when pit out let a car out. Right in front of me. I saw it immediately, slowed and tucked back behind the car that gave me a pass. It could have not worked out so well if the timing was slightly different.
Weird, this happened to me as well. I may have it on video, actually. No harm, no foul though in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
The highlight of the weekend for me was taking an instructor out for the second session Saturday.
I'm really kicking myself for not taking advantage of this. I misunderstood the signup sheet and thought the instructor signup was only for White students interested in becoming an instructor or getting promoted.

Just as well, I suppose. I was fighting with my hunk o' junk for all day Saturday and the first half of Sunday so having an instructor would likely have been a distraction.

EDIT: holy long post, Batman...

'86 951: lucky number 13...rare 6.0L edition.
'06 M3: hers.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Collin...is your car the one with the grey rear diffuser? There was a "944" labelled car out there that blew smoke like a 951 but was fast. I couldn't figure what was up with it. We were behind when it spun in T5. Zoiks.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Cushion Convector

BMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post

"The later you apex through T8 and T9, the better. These are patience, patience corners. Later is better."
^not one of my quotes

Did you figure out the coolant issue?

Did Anisa have fun?
'72 E
'80 Weissach SC
'94 C2
'05 996 GT3 CUP
'09 White Winged Cayman S (Hers, all hers!)
'11 GTS/C4S Donuts
'15 Boxster S #Blubyu
Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM

HoodPin

Great weekend! Weather, though chilly, was actually pretty darn good for this car droving stuff. Cool air made power, and the sun kept the grip in the track.

We had a lot fun Friday and Saturday. Unfortunately, Cindy and I both ended our driving early Sunday. Her Boxster had a failing LF wheel bearing that started making funny noises. And after my brake pedal started slowly moving to the floor during braking for T1, twice, I realized something wasn't right, and pitted. Found one of my front steel braided lines was popping out of one of its crimped fittings, and spitting fluid under hard braking pressure. Fortunately, both are fixable.

Had a great student in Green, Felix in a 996 Cab, who hadn't been to SP for about a year. Rusty at first, but by the end of the weekend he was running at a nice pace, and grinning ear-to-ear.

I also had fun riding in White Group with Greg S., Matt C. and John B. All did really well. I gave out a few pointers which I hope were helpful to them.

Its always a pleasure helping out a fellow drover to keep 'em on the track and/or road. A bolt & loctite here, a couple of hose clamps there, an air filter via special delivery, a couple of jump starts, and a grinder to fix a key. Even got to practice some sheet metal work.

Congrats to Mia, Gary, and any others on their promotions! And kudos to Anisa! Got to watch her a bit from my students car, and she drove smart. By Sunday, her pace had improved a bunch. My guess is it won't be long before she's handed the keys to the 944T.

Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers that made 2013 another great DE Season!

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)

Last edited by HoodPin; 10-29-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
Even got to practice some sheet metal work.
And thanks again for that. Nice job and it worked out really well.

Peter

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
my front steel braided lines was popping out of one of its crimped fittings, and spitting fluid under hard braking pressure.
Same here but a rear line and mine failed all of a sudden with the pedal to the floor.

Thanks Mr Mustang for letting me through. Paul? did not hear the horn, but I was doing whatever I could to find a gap! It is better to be lucky than good.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
Same here but a rear line and mine failed all of a sudden with the pedal to the floor.

Thanks Mr Mustang for letting me through. Paul? did not hear the horn, but I was doing whatever I could to find a gap! It is better to be lucky than good.
Well done dude!!!! Phenomenal job of keeping it under control!

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)