Volunteer and/or Job opportunity with DC area non-profit race team - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Employment & Networking » Volunteer and/or Job opportunity with DC area non-profit race team

Employment & Networking Need a job? Looking to hire someone? Post it here.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM

wastintime
Default Volunteer and/or Job opportunity with DC area non-profit race team

Hey everyone,

I run the KL Racing Program for KaleidoLINKS, a 501(c)(3) non-profit incorporated in Washington, DC. The non-profit itself works with low-income, minority, youth in DC and the KL Racing program specifically works with them to help foster skills in science. Primarily math and physics. All while using the laboratory of auto racing to keep the youth interested and involved. Please visit www.kaleidolinks.org for more information on KaleidoLINKS and the KL Racing program.
We are currently moving into a new shop and our 2011 "season" is beginning Dec. 1st 2010 the kids in the program are going to begin their classroom lessons and construction on the car.

I am looking for an assistant who can assist with teaching and techinical duties. Which include both working on the race car as well as teaching the youth how to work on the car. As well as being able to travel with the team and chaperone on trips. These include DEs, race weekends, etc. since the youth in the program serve as our pit crew.
Also, at this time we are very much in need of a female employee. There are females in the KL Racing program and, more often than not, they are unable to participate in events because we do not have any females available to chaperone and it's illegal for them to come along otherwise.

Qualifications/Skills sought:

1. NO Criminal Record!
2. Mechanical skills - you do not necessarily need to be a mechanic or have ever worked on a race team, However familiarity with working on cars, automotive systems, working with tools, etc... is important.
3. Teaching skills.
4. Driving skills. - anyone who has DE or racing experience and understands vehicle dynamics. Please note this does NOT mean you will be gauranteed a chance to drive any race cars for the team.
5. you must be willing to undergo a criminal background check and fingerprinting in order to work with youth in DC.

If you think you might be interested, please e-mail a resume along with a cover letter/personal statement to astallworth@kaleidolinks.org for consideration. Also, feel free to e-mail with any questions that you might have.

Regards,

--
Andy Stallworth
KaleidoLINKS Chief Race Programmer / Driver
http://www.kaleidolinks.org
astallworth@kaleidolinks.org

Old 11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Looks like a decent-enough endevor. Your post does not make the time commitment clear, though. Is this mainly just on the weekends? Is it 52 weeks/ year?

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM

wastintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Looks like a decent-enough endevor. Your post does not make the time commitment clear, though. Is this mainly just on the weekends? Is it 52 weeks/ year?
David,
Thanks for pointing that out. As far as the time commitment goes, If someone was looking to volunteer I would say whenever they can help out would be fantastic whether it is during the week helping with construction or on weekends helping chaperone.

As far as the actual assistant postion is concerned:

basically the program runs as follows when we do NOT have a race weekend:

Monday is a 3 hour classroom session from 4-7pm
Tuesday is lab/shop period from 4-7pm
Thursday is a 3 hour classroom session from 4-7pm
Saturday is a lab/shop period from 10am-5pm

Most race weekends obviously pretty much take up all of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Those are the times that it is most important for me to have an assistant on hand so this really is not a 9-5 sort of job for obvious reasons. Having said that, there is an awful lot of work that goes on behind the scenes when the kids are not in the classroom getting whatever lab lesson they'll be working on set up for them before they arrive, any parts sourcing, and things like we need to do, as well.

Realistically I'd say on an average week it's an average of a 25-30 hour commitment depending on what we have going on. Unless we're travelling to a DE or a race or something along those lines.

Also, yes, it would be a 52 week a year position even though there's no race season that lasts that long, this program pretty much runs whenever the youth are in school and when they're out for the summer the non-profit usually has a "summer program" we don't really change our MO too much since that's when most racing happens. We do spend more time working in the summer since the youth are available more, so I'd imagine the time commitment in the summer break shoots up to a 40hour a week work week.

Last edited by wastintime; 11-15-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Where is the shop located? Might be able to assist but have the travel time from work to consider.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM

wastintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Where is the shop located? Might be able to assist but have the travel time from work to consider.
PMed you... I really don't want to post the location of the shop just yet. The guy who owns the property is donating us the space and he's been fighting to even get us in and I don't want to mess it up since we haven't signed everything yet. I will say it's very metro accessible and thankfully it's big enough that we'll have the classroom and shop in the same space.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Teaching Tech Since 1994

aerokurt

Give me a call, please.

1980 911 sc
'75 914 project
5000 lbs too much of 914 spares
2 1959 Lancia Flaminia's
1968 Ultravan
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Landjet

I see that one of your prerequisites is that the volunteer/employee must not have a criminal record. Do you insist and check that the youth also not have one?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Larry, please do not post crap like that in a thread that's been dead for a year...

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM

markwemple

It'd be cool to get an update on how things are going.
1976 911 S Targa

Formerly:
1964 scca C coupe
1965 C coupe
1968 912 Targa
1970 914/4
1985.5 944

(glutton for punishment)
Now a Potomac Member (sorry guys)
Also: Bugeyes, Vanagons, Fiat Spyder, Ducati 916, BMW R65RT, '78 xs11, cB750k0, ct90k0, ca110 .....

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. Mark Twain

...then there was this mind reader who moved to Washington DC and couldn't find work.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Landjet

Why not? I think the volunteer should know what he or she is getting into.