transition from cayman to 911? - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » transition from cayman to 911?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Modian

I'm not sure how relevant this is because my car is much older, but I switched from a front engine to a rear engine. In the grand scheme of things, it was a much smaller deal that I thought it was going to be. You need to trail brake or keep weight on the nose going into a corner or it understeers. It has great traction coming out. Maybe too much because if I give it too much gas, it plows. Trailing throttle oversteer takes much less trailing throttle to induce.

I had to reprogram muscle memory on how I take corners, which I am still working on. Corners I could take in a smooth arc in the M3 require more of an angular approach, with more aggressive inputs to get the car pointed the right way sooner to take advantage of the traction coming out and minimize plowing.

Going around that 180 near pit in/out in Shenandoah, you can feel the weight in the back trying to come around on you, which is interesting to feel.

I was really worried about spinning the car, so the very first thing I did was go to the skid pad. I wanted to see what the limits were and what the car felt like. Surprisingly, neither I nor Tommy could get the rear out doing normal or slightly abnormal things you would do on track. We had to beat on it and be very exaggerated to get the rear out and then as soon as you got on the gas, it would plow straight off the skid pad. It alleviated a lot of my concerns.

These are all probably more extreme than a 991 would be, so if you have a chance for a GT car, why wouldn't you?

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

Blah, blah, blah.

Otto, don't listen to those rear-engine snobs. Real men (and women) drive sports cars that have the engine where dog intended -- in the middle!

If you really want to step up to a GT car, take a long, hard look at a GT4. GT4 prices are lower than 991 GT3 prices. Running costs will be slightly lower than a GT3. But the biggest advantage is that the GT4 doesn't have those dog-forsaken, miserable center locks.

Handling-wise, you will feel the extra weight in the rear end of a 911. I've driven a couple of 911s on the track (a 996 race car and a 997 GT3), and it always felt like I was waiting for the back end of the car to "catch up" with the front end whenever I entered a turn. On the other hand, it did make the car feel like it would be harder to make spin than a Cayman, but not by much.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Modern wet motor Porsche it matter little where the motor is. Get the car that you want and drive it.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Buy it or post the sale info so someone else can.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Blah, blah, blah.

Otto, don't listen to those rear-engine snobs. Real men (and women) drive sports cars that have the engine where dog intended -- in the middle!

If you really want to step up to a GT car, take a long, hard look at a GT4. GT4 prices are lower than 991 GT3 prices. Running costs will be slightly lower than a GT3. But the biggest advantage is that the GT4 doesn't have those dog-forsaken, miserable center locks.

Handling-wise, you will feel the extra weight in the rear end of a 911. I've driven a couple of 911s on the track (a 996 race car and a 997 GT3), and it always felt like I was waiting for the back end of the car to "catch up" with the front end whenever I entered a turn. On the other hand, it did make the car feel like it would be harder to make spin than a Cayman, but not by much.
lol

wise words bill

over the last week of running numbers on buying the car, track prep, and insurance, i am changing my mind

the 981 is now running fantastic now, and i can make it stick better, and make it faster

seems like waiting on a gt4 pdk (if they ever come out with one), or a c8 vette is a better option, as must as i would love having a gt3

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 11-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Buy it or post the sale info so someone else can.
by your command...

https://www.porscheofcoloradosprings...co-id-32791833

shipping to va in an enclosed trailer is ~$1600, just so you know

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar View Post
Do it, Otto!!!

We get one spin. Leave nothing on the table for ‘wish I had actually when I could have done it.”

lol

three spins

i had two in the 987

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 11-09-2019, 06:41 PM

spiffyjiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
by your command...

https://www.porscheofcoloradosprings...co-id-32791833

shipping to va in an enclosed trailer is ~$1600, just so you know
Nice car! But Hmm, seems a bit low given the year, mileage, buckets etc, no? I wonder If anything wrong w it...?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:09 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff View Post
Nice car! But Hmm, seems a bit low given the year, mileage, buckets etc, no? I wonder If anything wrong w it...?
there was a little nose damage that was repaired, that can explain it

https://youtu.be/Qqagl3UwOr8

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 PM

Le Cochon Volant

Otto, having experimented extensively with the most and least expensive ways to track the 991.1 GT3 I think I could share a few helpful points with you. Also, as I am probably converting my car back to stock in order to sell it I may have a couple of pallets of go fast parts you may want to pick over instead of paying full freight for the new stuff. One thing that I found most helpful; drive the car as is for a full event and then get TPC to give it a true track alignment. You will see how that transforms the car for track work. Also, if it would be helpful I am happy to ride with you and provide feedback. I have a few laps in the car...
2016 GT3 Cup
2015 GT3
1988 951
1989 944 S2
2002 Boxster S (project)
1972 914 1.7
2013 Cayenne Diesel (wifey's DD)
2007 E350 4matic wagon DD
2008 Chevy 3500 dually tow truck