Introdouche Yourself - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Introdouche Yourself

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM

TD in DC

David,

I went through exactly the same process as you did when I bought my first Porsche (a new '02 Boxster S). When I started my search, I had intended to buy a 993 (love those curves). After driving many, I found that the 996/986 better served my need for a daily driver. The 996/986 seem smoother during everyday stop and go driving. The prices for early 996/986 have dropped through the floor, and you can probably pick one up for the same price, or less, as a 993. I know that this is a controversial thing to say and that the 993 guys may come after me for saying this, but the independent mechanics with whom I have spoken say that the 996/986 has a better chassis/suspension than the 993, and thus makes a great choice for a daily driver/weekend track car. I do not drive fast enough, and probably never will, to worry about having a wet sump rather than the dry sump on the 993s.

Also, are you certain that you need a C4? I started out looking for a C4, but the more I learned, the more I realized that I strongly preferred C2s. If I were you, I would keep an open mind about the C2s. So long as you put good winter tires on a C2, it will be fine in the winter. A non-turbo does not have enough power to justify, IMHO, the need for AWD with the extra weight and handling characteristics it brings.

Finally, don't forget the Targa. I wasn't looking for a Targa, but I came across a great deal and have never looked back. In addition to getting the best of both worlds (more rigidity like a coupe and ability to slide back entire roof like a convertible), you get real, ok, better, back seats (the back seats on a 911 cab are entirely useless because the top of the seats tilt forward uncomfortably), you get the ability of all the light even on days when it is too cold/rainy to open the top. That is the best part. The car is always light, even when the top is up.

I am a recent Porschephile, so take all that I say with a grain of salt . . .

Just my .02. (and I still love the 993s).

TD in DC
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD in DC
I know that this is a controversial thing to say and that the 993 guys may come after me for saying this, but the independent mechanics with whom I have spoken say that the 996/986 has a better chassis/suspension than the 993
Not controversial at all. The 996 is a better driving car, and anyone who says it isn't probably hasn't driven them both. Its just that the 993, to most, is a better looking car, and still feels connected to the whole air-cooled, 5 gauges in the dash thing the original 911s had going on. The 996 is a completely different car. Buying a 993 over a 996, in most cases, is an emotional decision, not a logical one. Which is why I'd buy a 993.
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 AM

TD in DC

[quote="jazzbass"]
Quote:
Its just that the 993, to most, is a better looking car, and still feels connected to the whole air-cooled, 5 gauges in the dash thing the original 911s had going on.
Very true. That is why the 997s should be spectactularly successful because they seem to combine the best parts of the 996s with some of the best parts of the 993s (Think Mud, Baseball, Taxes, concentrate . . . .)
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass
Quote:
I know that this is a controversial thing to say and that the 993 guys may come after me for saying this, but the independent mechanics with whom I have spoken say that the 996/986 has a better chassis/suspension than the 993
Not controversial at all. The 996 is a better driving car, and anyone who says it isn't probably hasn't driven them both. Its just that the 993, to most, is a better looking car, and still feels connected to the whole air-cooled, 5 gauges in the dash thing the original 911s had going on. The 996 is a completely different car. Buying a 993 over a 996, in most cases, is an emotional decision, not a logical one. Which is why I'd buy a 993.
Are any of us hardcore Porsche nuts...logical?
Heaven Forbid!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Aquila Legalis

targa911man

Get a 993 or a 997. The lights are round, THE SHAPE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

David:

Welcome to the Dorki Board. There's a few Davids on here already, so you may want to supplement with the first letter from your last name. Although I doubt if you are looking for a late model 911 that anyone will confuse you with Dave Riley

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon
David:

Welcome to the Dorki Board. There's a few Davids on here already, so you may want to supplement with the first letter from your last name. Although I doubt if you are looking for a late model 911 that anyone will confuse you with Dave Riley
Black Talon = @#$%^ &*#$ David

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 03-17-2005, 11:19 AM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

as long as you introduce your car to an apex, it won't matter whether it's a 993 or 996.... they are both fast and should be used accordingly
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 03-17-2005, 11:25 AM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911man
Get a 993 or a 997. The lights are round, THE SHAPE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone said that . . .
Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 AM

APKhaos

Well, yes, but.........

The 996 might just be the best value-for-money late model Porsche around. They are extremely capable cars. No doubt the 993/997 styling is more classic 911, but there is a significant price advantage for the less attractive 996.

I was a sceptic until I spent some quality track time in 996s.
Put a set of wheels and Rs on an otherwise stock 996 and a good driver in the seat, and its rock & roll time. I guess there are times when PSM gets in the way, but its still a fun car to drive.

Flame shields up
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup