Fire suppression system recommendations? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Fire suppression system recommendations?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM

BillC has one HoF thread
Default Fire suppression system recommendations?

So, the new toy has a fire extinguisher bolted into it, which I think meets the minimum SPB club racing rules. However, I would really like to install a fire suppression system instead, and am looking for recommendations.

What would you recommend? I want something reliable, effective, low maintenance and cost efficient, in that order.

OG Racing has SPA AFFF systems that look pretty easy to install, I think that's what we put in the Lemons car. However, I have read about problems with the AFFF in pressurized systems corroding the internals of the pressure gauge, so you don't really know if the system is ready or not after some time. ApexPerformance has ESS AFFF systems that aren't pressurized until fired, but I don't really know much about them.

Are there any other readily-available choices beside AFFF? One of the big complaints about AFFF that I've read is that it can freeze and wreck the tank. Halon would probably be ideal, but I'm sure that would be $$$.

Thanks!

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

Doing a little more searching, and it looks like the FE36-based (Halon replacement) systems aren't quite as pricey as I though, but still about $200+ more than AFFF systems.

Anyone use one of these?

How picky is PCA about re-certifying fire suppression systems? Apparently SCCA wants it done every two years.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Doing a little more searching, and it looks like the FE36-based (Halon replacement) systems aren't quite as pricey as I though, but still about $200+ more than AFFF systems.

Anyone use one of these?

How picky is PCA about re-certifying fire suppression systems? Apparently SCCA wants it done every two years.
Depends how picky you are about getting your panties singed I guess. Fire is no joke!!
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 12-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Far more important than the system selected is the install and deployment. I have seen plenty of OK to good hardware poorly installed.

Any form of safety pin / disable should always be placed in both visual and easy physical reach of the Belted in Driver. Period. /

I treat the fire system like a soft body part. The core system should be located near the driver and the drivers portion of the system kept short, simple and close. The rest of the system tubing and the like should be located in the car core radiating out to the areas to be protected. As example I inspected a CR system that had passed before and the car had a CR log book. The bottle was mounted in a 911 in front of the gas tank. Where it was the first to go in a wreck. The system checked all the boxes but it was more susceptible to damage than the same hardware installed elsewhere.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Bill, I went through this a couple of years ago. I ended up purchasing AFFF, and got the steel tank because the weight difference (about 2-3 pounds at the time) didn't seem worth the $$. The newer systems use Dekabon tubing, which is easily cut and bent by hand (I used a graduated wine bottle to get smooth curves), making installation a breeze.

Part of the advantage of AFFF is that OG Racing is a certified recharger for the SPA systems.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Paddy

I recently swapped my SPA AFFF bottle to a new Lifeline Fire marshal Zero360. The lines are vasty superior and are wrapped in heat proof material. Also, it saved nearly 10lbs from the SPA AFFF bottle.
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM

flipb

I did a pretty minimal amount of investigation before replacing the extinguisher in my (street) 914, and ended up going with Purple K. Supposedly about as effective as Halon but less corrosive. I don't know the extent that it's suitable or available in suppression systems, but perhaps worth a look.