Crappy tool pic (tap) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Crappy tool pic (tap)

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads
Default Crappy tool pic (tap)

I know this has been discussed before (drills/taps) but I couldn't find the thread. Anyway, I needed to tap some 4-40 holes in some thin steel. Drilled the pilot holes and went to look for my taps. Crap, don't have a 'good' one in the box so had to settle for my made in ??? HSS kit. Im reluctant to say china as they're typ quite well made. Even HSS vs carbon steel. No Greenfield (USA) but decent. Except the 4-40 it turns out...

So, I start tapping the hole and hear light 'crunching'. I figure its just the chips and keep turning it back a partial turn to break them. After about the right depth I pull (!??!?) the tap out. Something doesn't look right. They undercut the root of the threads so thin the teeth just break off FWIW, The thread form doesn't look very good either.

NOW, I have to order a real tap and hope I can clean the HSS bits out of the existing hole so I don't ruin that one.
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT