New tool thread - Page 33 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:36 AM

dnwong

I looked at cheap migs a while back. I just could not turn down a $40 deal thinking I could use it to do some quick fixes to exhaust hangers and so forth. The tig attachment for this unit may cost more than the unit so not planning to go down that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alw20147 View Post
It really depends on what your welding needs are. If just to learn, then the arc/stick welding capability be fine for regular carbon steel up to 1/8-3/16. As the tig function, touch/scratch start is very hard to do and if learning, you will spend more time restriking an arc than focus on tig techniques.

Does that unit accept gas? if not the tig welds will need excessive heat for it to fuse/melt together and will be very porous. I failed my welding tech cert 2x due to porosity - gas pressure too low the first time and lack of penetration - heat too low the second. Luckily third time was a charm.

I find myself gravitating to the mig for most mild steel and the tig for stainless and aluminum.
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build
Old 05-09-2024, 04:23 PM

alw20147

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwong View Post
I looked at cheap migs a while back. I just could not turn down a $40 deal thinking I could use it to do some quick fixes to exhaust hangers and so forth. The tig attachment for this unit may cost more than the unit so not planning to go down that route.
since the 2 metals will be of different thickness, try to keep the rod more on the hanger than the exhaust pipe. This will assure good penetration on the hanger material and not blow holes on the thinner exhaust. Imagine writing a Z with the rod and only the 1/4-1/3 of the Z will be over the thinner material.