A pintle cap fall off in my intake - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » A pintle cap fall off in my intake

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner
Default A pintle cap fall off in my intake

I had a bad fuel injector on the E36 so I replaced the batch with a rebuilt set which I'm now starting to regret doing (I probably should have just bought new injectors).

I installed the rebuilt injectors and the car still ran rough. I didn't let it run long enough to get a code but I used my stethoscope to find the injector that wasn't clicking. I went to swap it with another injector to confirm it when the other injector's o-ring got stuck in the manifold and the pintle is now sitting on an intake valve.

Borescopes are helpful.

Anyway, what are my options?

I could try to fish it out with a grasping claw or plug a hose into a vacuum cleaner. I've read that being plastic it'll burn off (which is what my original thought was) but some some have mentioned it could bend a valve. I'm also going to be bringing the car in soon anyway because the head gasket is failing so all of that could be dug into but I'd rather not have to deal with towing and paying to have someone else sort out the injector problem.

I'm frustrated but smart enough to step away for the moment.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

BB.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2023, 09:09 PM

cmartin

Shop vac
Old 06-10-2023, 08:12 AM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

Thanks! That worked like a charm. I spent more time looking around my garage for the right size hose to stick in the vacuum cleaner than actually sucking the part out. It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be!

BB.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:21 PM

cmartin

Good work, it happens. In a pinch a paper towel roll and duct tape have saved my bacon. No comments about intake nuts down the distributor hole, or ....