Is there a (tree) doctor in the house? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Is there a (tree) doctor in the house?

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 AM

jerome951
Default Is there a (tree) doctor in the house?

Well, Monday's winds did some damage to the tree in my front yard (it's some type of non-fruit-bearing pear). Took out over 1/3 of the branches.

I've removed the downed limbs but I'm concerned about the trunk being open like that and exposed to insects and water. I'm also not sure if the dark areas of the bark are from disease.
Should I call an expert?
Could they patch/seal it with this much damage?
If so, can anyone recommend an arborist?

I really don't want to lose the tree as I'm about to put the house on the market.
I thought about putting racer's tape over it but I don't a roll that big.

On the bright side, there will be fewer leaves to rake....
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 AM

KevinOyler

Jerome,

They used to put a patch material on wounds. I believe the current belief is this can provide a shelter for pests and fungus when it dries out and pulls away from the wound. Just make sure there is a clean cut where you remove the limb (don't tear it down and off) leave it open and let the tree heel the wound naturally. It will grow a bark scab over the area in time. Bartlett Pears are suspectable to this because they grow so dense with limbs. They are vulnerable to wind, ice, snow, etc weighing them down. This limb had a bad crotch, which caught water and promotted rot and was bound to split off eventually. An arborist may have done preventive removal on such a formed limb.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 AM

HoodPin

FWIW, Bradford Pears are popular builder trees; cheap, look nice, and grow fast. But they are notorious for breaking. I believe what happens is the trunk tends to split early, and if the branches aren't regularly pruned back, the mass gets too much for the split trunk to support. Many broken trees you see after windy storms are Bradford Pears.

Here's one of many sites found with a Google search:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/191/

My advise is either cut the whole thing down, or begin a pruning program for what's left.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Rusty Grinderschmütz

Andy Clements

What board is this again?

That looks like a nasty break. I think with a little patience Kurt can probably TIG that back together. A little grinding work on the weld bead to smooth things out and would-be buyers will never notice. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM

jerome951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clements View Post
What board is this again?

That looks like a nasty break. I think with a little patience Kurt can probably TIG that back together. A little grinding work on the weld bead to smooth things out and would-be buyers will never notice. Good luck.
Oh, like YOU'VE never asked an off-topic question?? Wait.... you haven't.

I've got a MIG welder. I'll buy some wood wire and give it a shot first before calling Kurt. The welds won't look as good as Kurt's but the rough bark texture should make them less pronounced.

Thanks for all the useful advice so far. Since the house is going on the market soon I'll try Kevin's advice of cleaning up the wound and hoping it survives.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM

markwemple

But what gas and wire are you going to use.

I agree with Tony on the pruning. Most fruit trees require it for best health. Apples are especially vulnerable.

From looking at your tree, it may have had the problem of having more than one leader (primary branch, or whatever you want to call it). Its best whan there is a strong center and branches coming off close to 90 degrees. The branch near the one that broke looks vulverable as well. FWIW, this may have been a good thing for the long term health of the tree, as long as no infestation occurs. It should strengthen it.

I can remember what they use to cover exposed areas, but considering its size I would protect the damaged area.
1976 911 S Targa

Formerly:
1964 scca C coupe
1965 C coupe
1968 912 Targa
1970 914/4
1985.5 944

(glutton for punishment)
Now a Potomac Member (sorry guys)
Also: Bugeyes, Vanagons, Fiat Spyder, Ducati 916, BMW R65RT, '78 xs11, cB750k0, ct90k0, ca110 .....

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. Mark Twain

...then there was this mind reader who moved to Washington DC and couldn't find work.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I just had a big bradford pear removed from my back yard earlier in the week. One limb came down in a storm over the summer, and another was 'resting' on the ground. Since you are selling, best to band-aid the wound. If you were going to be in the house for the long-term, removal and replacement with a 'better' tree would be a good way to go.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM

JmuRiz

Any ideas what would be a better replacement tree that still looks nice and flowers?

I have one in the front of my yard and will be staying put for a LONG time and might as well eliminate future issues.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 10-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmuRiz View Post
Any ideas what would be a better replacement tree that still looks nice and flowers?

I have one in the front of my yard and will be staying put for a LONG time and might as well eliminate future issues.

I enjoy the dogwoods on and near my property. They are not very fast growers, but they last a long time and have very pretty flowers.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM

John Hallen

Monday was a bad day for Bradfords. What Mother Nature started, My chain saw finished. The hard part is getting the stump removed. Attached by chain 6500 pounds of 4 x 4 pick up, and couldn't budge it :XX.
Attached Images

01 E46 325CI
05 Kubota BX2230