2012 Cayman R for sale - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » 2012 Cayman R for sale

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 PM

rbpeirce
Default 2012 Cayman R for sale

I just put a deposit down on a GT4. Looks like October-November delivery. My R is available any time. I’m looking for a quick sale so I will consider anything over $57,500. The following provides all the good and bad I can think of.

The car is totally stock except I installed slotted rotors a couple of years back and installed caliper studs in the event I ever needed to remove the calipers again. I tied back the brake pad wear sensors (rather than cut them) since they weren’t compatible with track pads. I used to have the little springs that hold the sensors in the stock pads but I can’t find them. The car only had a few priced options: Bi-Xenon headlights, PDK, A/C and Sports Chrono Package. It has the Sports Bucket Seats, which were standard. The original price was $75,710. The color is Peridot, which is fairly rare I’m told.

All required services have been made at a garage I have used for 50 years most recently by a technician who works for a Cayman race team on weekends. Oil and brake fluid (ATE-200) have been changed annually. According to a local dealer there is no record of any service having been done on the car. Apparently my shop doesn’t post this information anywhere, but I have all the documentation.

The car was aligned each year. I currently have 1.3 degrees negative in front and 1.8 in the rear.

I had the spark plug coil packs replaced a couple of years ago.

I recently read that the water pump should be changed every few years, but that isn’t in the book and it has never been done.

Pluses:
Less than 26,000 miles and never been wrecked although I did manage to take out a cone at Pitt Race last year and in 2016, which damaged some of the rubber and plastic parts around the wheel wells. That’s one reason I like Potomac PCA, no cones. I have copies of the bills among my maintenance records.

I have clear plastic wrap back to the doors. The front splitter was wrapped but I removed it when it started to get ragged.

I have a set of mounted snow tires on 18” rims. They have about 6-7/32" of tread. I don’t know how many miles you might put on during the cold months but there should be at least a couple of seasons there.

Anticipating more track days this year I have an unused set of Ferodo DS1.11 track pads. I like them better than the Pagids but that is a personal decision.

I just replaced the front rotors. The stock pads are currently installed because I had no idea what route a potential buyer might want to take. However, the wear sensors are not installed.

The car has a fresh set of Yokohoma AD08R tires with less than 1000 miles on them. I chose them because I was getting too much edge wear with the Michelin tires. I put about 400 miles on them over the 6/26-28 weekend at Pitt Race and the wear was very even. I can’t be sure but the grip seems better than the Michelin PS4Ss. Although they are 200TW tires, I anticipate, with a reasonable amount of track use, that they will last about as long as the Michelins because they will have less edge wear.

Minuses:
The wheels are not pristine. I was thinking about having them refinished when I thought it would be a while before the GT4 became available. That didn’t happen. The left front, in particular, has blemishes from who knows what.

I know of three tiny nicks in the paint. One is on the trailing edge of the trunk and two are on the driver’s side rear quarter panel. One of those is very hard to see. There are rubber marks on the pieces of clear plastic in front of the rear wheels I have not been able to remove.

There are some scratches and dings on the bumper covers. In particular there is a scratch on the passenger side rear bumper cover that probably occurred from a thrown stone or wheel weight, 6/26-28. It wasn’t there earlier.

The front splitter is nicked along the bottom edge from vertical curves of one sort or another. That’s why I removed the wrap.

While I’ve tried to cover everything, there may be other minuses of which I am unaware.

If you are seriously interested I can arrange to have the car checked out by whoever you designate as long as we can work out a mutually agreeable time. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I can also post pictures of anything you want to see ahead of time.

Last edited by rbpeirce; 07-24-2020 at 05:13 PM.