Auto Sportsytems Group (ASG) - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » Auto Sportsytems Group (ASG)

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM
@porschesideways

ruffyz

For less expensive basic maintenance I've used autoscandia in Herndon in the past.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by que syrah syrah View Post
Thank you all for the recommendations and comments. Less expensive of course is a relative term, nobody is more than the stealerships but some do come close!
I disagree. At the dealership you will pay but it you will get something close to the listed work for it. Some independent shops size you up and get what they can cutting every corner with you being the only guard

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Modian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
I disagree. At the dealership you will pay but it you will get something close to the listed work for it. Some independent shops size you up and get what they can cutting every corner with you being the only guard
Learned this exact lesson this past year from a shop listed in this thread... I am lucky I did not have a brake failure and accident on track due to shortcuts and shoddy work, all while nickel and diming me. Even after the shop tried to make it better, they still left a kinked and torn hard brake line that was leaking fluid every time the pedal was pressed.
The shop that found this was amazed I did a DE without incident.

I got a Quick jack last week. As they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
My 2 cents. Over the past 20+ years I've done a great deal of work myself, but have also repeatedly been to Intersport and Stuttgart Performance Engineering (Matt de Maria). The only error made at either shop every (in my case) was that Matt failed to notice that my son and I had neglected to tighten the nut on the engine ground. And I never felt either shop had over charged me.

That said, I also had work done at the Porsche dealership with which Vicegrip has been affiliated. They did NOT overcharge me and did exactly what I wanted done, and did it correctly.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 AM
He HIT me.

Fumes

every shop thats touched my car (5?) has screwed up at some point. either at the shop or at the track.

YMMV. Live your life by internet comments lol or accept YMMV and gain your own experience and make your own judgements. choice is every individual’s to make.

2012 987.2 R (endless build)
2009 997.2 C2S
2012 F-150 (tow)
---
2013 991.1 C2 (sold)
2013 335i (RIP)
2001 4Runner (left by side of road in Georgia)
1990 Legend LS (RIP)
1988 Toyota 2WD reg cab (donated)
1987 GTi (sold)
1990 (TOM)Celica GTS (RIP)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM

jhsmith

Good results from Charlie and company at Intersport over the last 8 years for both track and road cars. In addition to the Porsche and MB, I've been taking my daughters' Volvo and Lexus to him.

Also good results from Billy at Performance Auto Works (gasoline alley at Summit Point) for track cars.

Good results from Mike Ostrander Auto Works in Cumberland MD for street cars.

Poor results from Koon's (for my Yukon) who tried to add a bunch of extra service until I pointed out that the car was still under the new car warranty and it all fell under the warranty. The urgent need for the extra services then disappeared.
"2014 Central PA SCCA Witch's Rallye - Best Team Costume Award"

White/Green '91 SSM Miata #01
Green '96 911 (993) Carrera #409
Blue '09 911 (997.2) Carrera S Cab
Black '15 Yukon XL w/ '98 Trailex (Tow Vehicle)
Burnt Orange '75 FJ40
Yellow '19 718 Boxster (wife regretfully sold it to fit 2nd grandchild on the way...)
Black '83 911SC Targa (regrettably sold when the second car seat didn't fit)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Toby

I have used ASG almost exclusively for over 10 years (a race car, a heavily prepped DE car, and a street car). I had my last service this March and highly recommend them.

To me it's a matter of what you want from the service.

1) If you want basic maintenance done, there is no a lot of difference between independent shops or the dealer.

2) If you are really interested in tracking your car, then a good shop can help you with mods and setup. You get good advice here and some (and definitely not all) other forums - but a good honest shop is what you really need.

As other mentioned, all shops listed are very good. They each have slightly different philosophy. Some can be more pushy and suggest $$$ upgrades sooner, while others try to hold back until you can use the upgrade. It's as much a style there is nothing wrong either case (esp. if your wallet can afford the former).

Dealers do good work and similar prices too. They just don't know how fast/slow you are on track to give you good advice. (Good independent shops will tell you you don't "need" anything more yet with a 1:2x lap at Summit).

Previous:
2009 Boxster S (Kate, Molly's Dirty Sister)
1991 964 C2 Coupe (Tory)
2001 Boxster S (Dirty Molly)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 AM

Paddy

I'll echo Toby and another ASG supporter here. ASG serviced my track prepped 993 for a better part of a decade and I never missed a track day or had a mechanical at the track and I did over 200 track days with that car.

Like Toby said, build a relationship with your shop.
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

ASG always gets the biggest turn-out of all the Tech Sessions each year. It has the most people who come to hang out (i.e., they are not participating in the DE), so that says something about the size of their customer base.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Hunter

I have been going to ASG for 16 years, first with a 996 and now with the 964. My car will be dropped off there sometime this week.

2023 Audi Q7 Daily Driver
Considering next Porsche
1990 964, Red, Number 692 (Misty) sold
2010 Trailex (Dusty) sold
2003 996, (Speedy) Grey sold

Life is short; just drive....... (boat, bike, etc.)