House plumbing - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM

87turbolook911

Actually it turns out that if we turn on multiple water sources upstairs it starts to make noise. You're right, as soon as you open too many, the water pressure drops significantly.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

I've fixed one of those at our house. Easy enough. The biggest problem was it age and getting the sealing surfaces clean/smooth enough that the new gaskets/crush rings would seal. IIRC took me 2-3 tries of snugging the bolts. IIRC2, it was the strainer part that I wish I would have left alone since only the diaphragm was bad
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM

87turbolook911

Wrap Up Post

Finally got some time to do the PRV swap out tonight. Found the new version of my existing one at Home Depot.

Tools: Just took two big pliers and plumbers tape.

Simply unbolt one side and rotate the assembly to detach from the other side. Insert new assembly, wrap threads with plumbers tape and tighten.

Voila, no more water hammering!
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 PM

APKhaos

Sorry I must have missed this thread earlier.......

I've had a dying PRV for a while, which was causing hammer problems. The trick to save your plumbing is to wind the adjustment screw IN, which will stop the hammering until you get a replacement PRV.

The PRV I needed [also a Watts] was too big for Home Despot, so had to order it online. It turned up without the union nut and seal. Seems Watts package them in 'new install' or 'replacement' forms. The replacement form is the bare valve - nu union nut and seal ring. Trying to find these locally tomorrow.

The location totally sux. Had a new water service line installed shortly after buying the house. The clowns located the PRV tight on the wall THEN I installed a water heater in the perfect position to make the PRV really hard to get at. One handed at best. Am now wrestling one handed while humping the water heater.
Attached Images

85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup

Last edited by APKhaos; 08-22-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM

APKhaos

Done!
The challenge was access. One-handed while squeezed between the water heater and the wall, and very limited space to move a wrench between the wall and the heater. A crescent wrench large enough to get on the 2" union was too big to get any rotation.

Found a Rigid adjustable hex wrench that was the perfect tool. It opens to 2 5/8", the jaws are inline with the handle, and its plenty strong enough. Got the union broken free and the rest was easy.
Attached Images

85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

That is a good wrench for servicing Sloan and Zurn flush valves too. It fits everything and does not beaver mark the chrome.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)