Rock tumbling? - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

BillC
Default Rock tumbling?

We went camping this past weekend in the Solomons area, and the kids had great fun walking along the beach and picking up stones. Some of the stones look very interesting.

I am toying with the idea of buying a rock tumbler, to polish up the stones. Does any here have any experience with rock tumbling? Any tricks or tips? Also, any recommendations for tumbers? I took a quick look on Amazon, and saw a wide range of prices without much apparent difference in capability or durability.

Or, does anyone have a tumbler they'd be willing to loan out or part with at a reasonable price?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

My sister in law is an 'artist'. She once explained to me the rolling rock (drum) tumblers are better/faster/more durable for doing real stuff like rocks. IIRC a small amt of liquid is involved in the stuff she does. I've only ever used a small vibratory bowl tumbler for cleaning/polishing dry gun brass personally. I don't think it would have had the guts to run for days to do rocks. Would prob have eaten though the bowl too.

I searched my old emails. When she was looking for one (xmas gift years ago) she had put a "Lortone 3A Rotary rock tumbler" on her list. That was probably a very well researched and informed product request but that was back in 2007.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Harbor fright sells a cheap tumbler kit. If you find that you like the hobby you can get good stuff. If not little was spent. Tumblers are little more than rubber or rubber lined drums that are set on rollers and spin for days on end. you go from one grit to another until youhave the finish you want. It is best to have a far off place to leave it while it is running.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

^ My mother kept her's in the basement, then garage. Annoying no matter where.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending