Potomac PCA 2017 Autocross - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net

Fun Runs and Upcoming Events in our area. Post upcoming NoVA/DC/MD events here. You can also use the Calendar for scheduling.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Yep. I was the only Porsche. Got to talk to many folks and was really interesting seeing how various cars suspensions/brakes behaved under pressure. Fancy cars don't make for a fast times necessarily.
Two thumbs up for the teenager who showed up driving mom's cast off grocery getter. His dad was there in full support as well as the SCCA guys helping plug a flat. You guys are ok.
How was the school, BTW? Your thoughts on it?
2012.5 Carrera S (991) (Sold)
2006 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
2000 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:36 PM

racer

SCCA and Porsche classing aren't always to the advantage of the Porsche. Much harder to do well in the big pond with big fish...especially for the aircooled cars.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Too Tall

Bill, the objectives were for the instructors to teach us how to work at the events and drive autocross. This was my first for both. Overall They did a very good job. From my perspective, I got tons of one on one instruction, lots of drive time and the golden opportunity to chase cones. Winning.

If I recall correctly my first instructor Sean was great. He knew my car well and was very good telling me what to look for and where to improve.

At the PCA event upcoming I'll take advantage of ride alongs and ask for instruction until I get the hang of the course than see how I do alone.

So I reckon I got more than my money's worth. Even if there weren't more Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
How was the school, BTW? Your thoughts on it?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Bill, the objectives were for the instructors to teach us how to work at the events and drive autocross. This was my first for both. Overall They did a very good job. From my perspective, I got tons of one on one instruction, lots of drive time and the golden opportunity to chase cones. Winning.

If I recall correctly my first instructor Sean was great. He knew my car well and was very good telling me what to look for and where to improve.

At the PCA event upcoming I'll take advantage of ride alongs and ask for instruction until I get the hang of the course than see how I do alone.

So I reckon I got more than my money's worth. Even if there weren't more Porsches
Thanks! I may try to look into their level 2 school sometime...
2012.5 Carrera S (991) (Sold)
2006 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
2000 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
SCCA and Porsche classing aren't always to the advantage of the Porsche. Much harder to do well in the big pond with big fish...especially for the aircooled cars.
I found the same thing at the NASA (road course) competition school.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 04-03-2017, 12:30 PM
This space for rent

Scuba

Who'll be at AX school next weekend?

The wife has found about excuse not to go, I've already done a few AXs, and Dominion has a Driver's Club day that same day (of course).

But, my previous AXs I've been anonymous, so I'd be nice to put some Dorki faces to names.

I am signed up for AX1 too, though, so maybe I'll just catch up with folks then...

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....” (cars, too...)

'83 911SC track car, MI State Police Blue
'05 Carrera S, Black
'09 BMW M3 Coupe, Interlagos Blue
'13 KTM 350 XCF-W - Trail demon
'12 GasGas 280 TXT Econo - Trials hell-spawn
'03 Kawasaki ZX-636, CCS#437 (former life)
'89 Yamaha FZR-400, WERA#501 (former life)
'94 Kawasaki ZX-6E, WERA#501 (gateway drug)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Mark Hubley

I'm instructing at the AX school on Sunday. I'm also instructing for the Chesapeake AX school, which is on Saturday.

A whole weekend of riding in passenger seats!

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 04-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Who'll be at AX school next weekend?

The wife has found about excuse not to go, I've already done a few AXs, and Dominion has a Driver's Club day that same day (of course).

But, my previous AXs I've been anonymous, so I'd be nice to put some Dorki faces to names.

I am signed up for AX1 too, though, so maybe I'll just catch up with folks then...
Has your wife already canceled? If not, please have her do so asap so we can get someone off of the wait list.
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
This space for rent

Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Has your wife already canceled? If not, please have her do so asap so we can get someone off of the wait list.
Just checked MotorsportReg and only see my name on there - so I must've either been unsuccessful on my attempt to sign her up, or never followed through on the notion that I'll just sign her up and we can always cancel if she backs out...

Still undecided whether I'll be at Dominion or Bowie - it may depend on whether I can make it to OG Saturday to finally get a legit helmet and driving shoes...and peruse all the other goodies kid-in-a-candy-store style. From the website, it appears OG has grown significantly since I stopped in there in '06.

If I'm a no-show for AX School, does that go to the waitlist, or only to walkups? If not to the waitlist, I'll set a go/no-go to sh!@ or get off the pot.

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....” (cars, too...)

'83 911SC track car, MI State Police Blue
'05 Carrera S, Black
'09 BMW M3 Coupe, Interlagos Blue
'13 KTM 350 XCF-W - Trail demon
'12 GasGas 280 TXT Econo - Trials hell-spawn
'03 Kawasaki ZX-636, CCS#437 (former life)
'89 Yamaha FZR-400, WERA#501 (former life)
'94 Kawasaki ZX-6E, WERA#501 (gateway drug)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
If I'm a no-show for AX School, does that go to the waitlist, or only to walkups? If not to the waitlist, I'll set a go/no-go to sh!@ or get off the pot.
If you no-show on Sunday, there will be no one to take your spot and you will not receive a credit or refund. There is no day-of-walk-up wait list for School (only regular events). We really need to know by Thursday around 5 pm to have any hope of getting in touch with someone to fill your spot.

Don't worry about a helmet -- we have some you can use.
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)