Soul Exhaust - any feedback? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Soul Exhaust - any feedback?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

JVH944
Default Soul Exhaust - any feedback?

Anyone w experience or feedback on Soul performance products exhausts? https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...ition-package/

Lucas Fab was going to be my choice but they won’t call back and Tarett can’t get them to fulfill orders either. Cargrahic is still an option if I want to depart w more $$. Got a very strong recommendation to avoid Fabspeed from a local tuning shop.

Looking at full exhaust - headers on back - for the 987.1. Usual goals - buy a little speed/power (instead of driving better), spend money, lose weight, sound cooler, etc. Will address intake and get a new tune in this process as well.

Open to other suggestions as well.
'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L {Slowist}
Old 04-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Otto

no experience, but soul is what i will likely go with when i upgrade my 981 cayman

go for it!

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 04-11-2020, 03:25 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

I have purchased and installed two Soul products: a tailpipe tip for the GT4 and a race exhaust for the Spec Boxster. Both products are very nicely made. The tailpipe tip fit right onto the car. The SPB exhaust had a minor fitment issue, which was solved by replacing one of the bolts that came with the kit to one with a smaller head.

BTW, I have had two experiences with Fabspeed, the first was bad.
  • Shortly after I bought the GT4, I ordered a tailpipe tip from them for the car. First, it didn't fit properly -- it wouldn't slip over the stock pipes. So, I sent it back to be fixed. When I called them a week later to inquire about the repair progress, one of their managers yelled at me for wasting their time. Well, I wouldn't need to waste their time if they had made it properly in the first place. They did finally fix the tip, and I verified that it did (finally) fit properly, but I was so annoyed by their attitude and "customer service" that I ended up selling it just to get rid of it.
  • Last year, I decided to install rear tie-down hooks on the SPB. I looked around and the only ones I could find that I liked were the ones from Fabspeed. Even though I didn't want to give them any more business, I went ahead and ordered the hooks. In this case, the hooks arrived quickly, fit properly and have been very nice pieces.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM

jhsmith

Jonathan, You did say "Open to other suggestions as well." Have you considered just deleting the mufflers?
"2014 Central PA SCCA Witch's Rallye - Best Team Costume Award"

White/Green '91 SSM Miata #01
Green '96 911 (993) Carrera #409
Blue '09 911 (997.2) Carrera S Cab
Black '15 Yukon XL w/ '98 Trailex (Tow Vehicle)
Burnt Orange '75 FJ40
Yellow '19 718 Boxster (wife regretfully sold it to fit 2nd grandchild on the way...)
Black '83 911SC Targa (regrettably sold when the second car seat didn't fit)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:43 PM

Doc_S

I've run the Soul catless headers witha Borla street exhaust the last 3+ years on the '05 987 Boxster S. Great sound with the Borla, and nice build quality. No issues with fitment. I did get a CEL without the cats. I tried those small mini cat extensions, still got a CEL. Not really an issue on the car now, cuz, well, racecar.

This spring I installed their new competition exhaust with the resonators to go with the headers. Really the race exhaust is a bunch of big pipes with a couple of very small resonators. A very nicely built system. Motor revs quicker with the freer flowing system. I like the sound, earplugs are required inside the car and for some, outside the car.

While I haven't heard their street exhaust, I certainly vouch for the quality and performance of their systems. I've spoken to John Gaydos a couple of times as they were developing their new 987 race exhaust. Its worth talking to him if you have questions about any of their hardware.

2006 Cayman S
2005 Boxster S - G Stock #667
1978 Triumph Spitfire
2006 Harley Night Rod
Old 04-11-2020, 08:06 PM

JVH944

Thanks fellas.

Bill- any rubbing issues w the over-axle pipe on the lowered race car?

Jim - I imagine the cats are my bigger issue w robbing power. Muffler removal would help w the sound, but performance outranks the cool factor for me. I know some guys have removed the cats but kept the rest of the stock system and been happy. My car is “track only” at this point so cats/emissions aren’t my concern.
'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L {Slowist}
Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH944 View Post
Thanks fellas.

Jim - I imagine the cats are my bigger issue w robbing power. Muffler removal would help w the sound, but performance outranks the cool factor for me. I know some guys have removed the cats but kept the rest of the stock system and been happy. My car is “track only” at this point so cats/emissions aren’t my concern.
No, no rubbing at all. However, the 986 exhaust runs under the axles, not over like 987s and 981s.

A low-cost option would be to "core" the cats. Take the exhaust off and use a rod to knock the matrix out of the cat cans. It probably still won't flow as much as a big-bore aftermarket exhaust, but the cost is hard to beat.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 04-12-2020, 03:36 PM

jhsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH944 View Post
Thanks fellas.

If the car is track only, just go with straight pipes. Charlie got rid of my Fabspeed mufflers a long time ago. Not sure if it helped with HP, but taking weight off the back end of my 993 was helpful in handling.
"2014 Central PA SCCA Witch's Rallye - Best Team Costume Award"

White/Green '91 SSM Miata #01
Green '96 911 (993) Carrera #409
Blue '09 911 (997.2) Carrera S Cab
Black '15 Yukon XL w/ '98 Trailex (Tow Vehicle)
Burnt Orange '75 FJ40
Yellow '19 718 Boxster (wife regretfully sold it to fit 2nd grandchild on the way...)
Black '83 911SC Targa (regrettably sold when the second car seat didn't fit)