Longhood rust repair - shop recommendation - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » Longhood rust repair - shop recommendation

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:48 PM

JmuRiz

Yep, hope your dads car is running well.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmuRiz View Post
Yep, hope your dads car is running well.
Currently it's up on the lift waiting for me to replace the leaking fuel pump I had rebuilt
Old 02-15-2021, 08:24 AM

onboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
A friend just had his 993 fixed and painted at Euro Pro’s. We’re going to pick it up tomorrow, so we’ll see on quality, but agree on delays and communication aspect. He was quoted 2-3 months and its been 6 and it was hard at times to figure out what the hold up was.
I doubt there would be an issue on the quality. They have all the right equipment, along with the experience and training to know how to use it and get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Yeah, I have a handful of close friends who've experienced the same. They seem to be thorough, but not terribly well managed.
I think the issue here is that Euro Pro's is a collision shop that also does/has the experience, proper equipment, and knowledge to provide restoration on older Porsche models. However, that's not the primary business, they're a collision shop with insurance work, which means they're kinda bound to get those cars in & out fist in the shortest amount of time.. and that's where the focus is.. in other words, that's what keeps the lights on. They are also "the" bodyshop for several dealerships that don't have they're own and are not interested in the related cost and hassle of doing so.

Euro Pros is also "Porsche Certified" which means they perform repair (primarily structural)on later model Porsche cars which other bodyshops, and some dealerships, are not allowed to do by Porsche. Based on the lack of that "certification," Porsche will not even sell the others the parts to make the repair. Then there are the specialty cars - read factory cup car.. Euro-Pros has repaired most of the damaged cup-cars this side of the Mississippi

On the other hand, the other shops mentioned (Karosserie & Schebish) are primarily restoration shops that can do collision, and are quite capable of both.. I've known Louie and the Schebish guys for years.. good people, excellent work.

Sorry to be so wordy, but it seems really easy toss around complaints based on "well I've heard" etc.. without nothing the full Monty.

So, "I'm just say'n.."
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 02-15-2021, 08:40 AM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
I doubt there would be an issue on the quality. They have all the right equipment, along with the experience and training to know how to use it and get it right.

I think the issue here is that Euro Pro's is a collision shop that also does/has the experience, proper equipment, and knowledge to provide restoration on older Porsche models. However, that's not the primary business, they're a collision shop with insurance work, which means they're kinda bound to get those cars in & out fist in the shortest amount of time.. and that's where the focus is.. in other words, that's what keeps the lights on. They are also "the" bodyshop for several dealerships that don't have they're own and are not interested in the related cost and hassle of doing so.

Euro Pros is also "Porsche Certified" which means they perform repair (primarily structural)on later model Porsche cars which other bodyshops, and some dealerships, are not allowed to do by Porsche. Based on the lack of that "certification," Porsche will not even sell the others the parts to make the repair. Then there are the specialty cars - read factory cup car.. Euro-Pros has repaired most of the damaged cup-cars this side of the Mississippi

On the other hand, the other shops mentioned (Karosserie & Schebish) are primarily restoration shops that can do collision, and are quite capable of both.. I've known Louie and the Schebish guys for years.. good people, excellent work.

Sorry to be so wordy, but it seems really easy toss around complaints based on "well I've heard" etc.. without nothing the full Monty.

So, "I'm just say'n.."
All fair points, but none of which really change which end of the scheduling totem pole I'd find myself on if I went with them
Old 02-15-2021, 09:37 AM

Modian

Quote:
Yes, saw the car and it looks great. It was a deer strike repair, and then some upgrades were done since it was being repaired anyway, and it looks mint. So no complaints about the work from Euro Pros .

Thanks for the other insight. I’m still debating converting my car to a widebody using factory parts, and it sounds like I should go with them and just expect to not see my car for a year. Which makes me not want to do it because I can’t go without driving this car for a year.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 09-01-2021, 09:51 AM

odj

Figured I'd post an update since I'm on the forum.

I ended up going with Greg at Schebish, and the car is currently down with him under his care. I'll save a full review for when I get the car back, but I'm optimistic after talking with him for a while and checking out some of the other work he's done. He's a good guy and incredibly knowledgeable in terms of early cars and their intricacies and peculiarities.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:10 PM

onboost

A year out.. are there any details or follow-up on the outcome? Thanks
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
Old 09-07-2022, 01:49 PM

odj

Quote:
A year out.. are there any details or follow-up on the outcome? Thanks
Sure.

All in all I'm happy with the work done. And I'm pretty anal about work that I pay others to do.

The rust repair to the front suspension area was done well, and looks very similar to the factory finish. The battery box repair was done well, and looks like nothing was ever done. They also did some other work for me while the car was there, and identified some things I could address on my own when the car came back to me. Body work and attention to detail are considerably better than other body shops I've worked with in the past.

There was one small spot elsewhere on the pan where the rust was repaired & welded, but it wasn't finished/painted (the size of a quarter). I haven't had a chance to take it back to Greg, but he was no fuss about correcting it. I will probably just do it myself since it's easier than taking two trips down to Manassas. In retrospect I would have taken more time to check over the car before accepting it. The drive down there in traffic was draining and I wasn't really on my game. Greg did give me multiple opportunities to come down and look at the car while he had it , and I did so once, but generally my work & family schedule prevented me from doing so.

Cost was higher than I expected, but not ridiculous. It took longer than expected, but also not ridiculous. This is just me comparing the end result with other shops myself or close friends have worked with. Communication was good.

Greg and the staff are easy to work with, and they obviously enjoy what they're doing. He was quick to share his vast knowledge on the car.

'18 Giulia QV
'13 135is
'10 Clubman S
'00 Boxster S
'97 M3
'88 3.2 Carrera
'72 T Targa (partial custody)
+ a truck and a trailer

Last edited by odj; 09-07-2022 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Adding clarity
Old 09-27-2022, 06:58 PM

onboost

Good to hear.. Greg and the crew are good folks, and definitely enjoy what they're doing!
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs