Take my VW GTI on track with PCA??? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Take my VW GTI on track with PCA???

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:56 PM

Mark Hubley
Default Take my VW GTI on track with PCA???

Many of you know that thanks to a catastrophic engine failure I no longer own a Porsche. After digesting what happened, I resigned myself to the idea of going for a few years without doing any track events. I ended up purchasing a 2017 GTI (notice that is GTI, not GT3 or GT4), which is now my daily driver and autocross car.

And it hasn't taken long for me to start itching to get back on a track.

Buying the '86 Turbo that Karl is selling is tempting, but that would likely lead to other problems, possibly including divorce. So, what about taking the GTI on track???

Here are my big concerns, and where I'm looking for advice:

1. I wasn't a 10/10 driver in the 996 (more like 7/10 on a good day), and I don't want to be a rolling speed bump in black run group. Having driven a 944 and a 924S in the past, I think I am very aware of traffic, and good at getting people past me. But, will I just be an annoyance driving in the GTI?

2. Safety??? When I got the 924S for track use, the first thing I did was install a roll/harness bar, proper seats, HANS, and harnesses. Ditto before I took the 996 on track. I don't want to do that with my GTI, as it still has to function as a normal car. Speeds won't be as high as in the 996, and the car has plenty of air bags. So, I know there are all sorts of factors playing into the risk, and I have to figure that out for myself. I guess there are plenty of people who go on track with new Porsches that are relying on stock safety equipment. One thing I would definitely do to the car before going on track is to upgrade the brakes. For those in the know, I have the stock, non-Performance Pack brakes, and I am not going on a track with that setup.

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-18-2021, 05:15 PM

Dandelion

We let Goggles out there with his, so why not?

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Volkswagons almost became Porsches a few years ago but didn't due to some unfortunate financial maneuvering. So that is pretty much an okay for tracking one.

(BTW, plenty of GTIs were tracked in SCCA events, etc. a couple decades ago. Do your studying/ homework and see what people are doing to them prior to driving them on the track. Ignore first-timers and stick with advice from seasoned drivers who can wring a bit our of their cars)

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-18-2021, 05:53 PM

ducatithunder

I have a buddy that was quite the track rat with is MK6 GTI. He did time attacks and scca weekends. I can put you in touch with him if you want. PM me and Ill pass your info on to him. He would be able to tell you what works for making it more then fast enough.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:58 PM

Mark Hubley

Another thought is to get into events in which my car is closer to the norm. Then again, for some reason I really like hanging out with you guys

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-18-2021, 08:33 PM

John Clay

100% try PCA events in the GTI. I spent several years as one of the slowest guys out there in my 944. While it would have been fun to be able to keep up with someone, I never felt like I was in the way. Of course cars have only gotten faster since then.

I'm planning to return to DE in my FRS. Tons of those are being tracked so there is a lot written online about necessary upgrades. But there's also a lot of dissenting opinions. I suspect there's plenty written about tracking GTIs. My next step is figuring out what to do for data acquisition and gauge monitoring. The only major item I'm looking at is an oil cooler. Track pads and good fluid is all I'm doing for brakes.

I can't really comment on the safety issue.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 01-18-2021, 08:37 PM

John Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
Another thought is to get into events in which my car is closer to the norm. Then again, for some reason I really like hanging out with you guys
I figure I'd try some non Porsche club events also to run with some slower cars.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 01-19-2021, 08:34 AM

Chopper Dropper

No problem Mark, Tim Kearns and I also took his Fiat 500 Abarth out a couple sessions (stock) and seen quite a few GTIs out there, as long as your SA is good and left arm exercised you will be fine, if too much see CIs to move down a group.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 01-19-2021, 08:51 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
Many of you know that thanks to a catastrophic engine failure I no longer own a Porsche. After digesting what happened, I resigned myself to the idea of going for a few years without doing any track events. I ended up purchasing a 2017 GTI (notice that is GTI, not GT3 or GT4), which is now my daily driver and autocross car.

And it hasn't taken long for me to start itching to get back on a track.

Buying the '86 Turbo that Karl is selling is tempting, but that would likely lead to other problems, possibly including divorce. So, what about taking the GTI on track???

Here are my big concerns, and where I'm looking for advice:

1. I wasn't a 10/10 driver in the 996 (more like 7/10 on a good day), and I don't want to be a rolling speed bump in black run group. Having driven a 944 and a 924S in the past, I think I am very aware of traffic, and good at getting people past me. But, will I just be an annoyance driving in the GTI?

2. Safety??? When I got the 924S for track use, the first thing I did was install a roll/harness bar, proper seats, HANS, and harnesses. Ditto before I took the 996 on track. I don't want to do that with my GTI, as it still has to function as a normal car. Speeds won't be as high as in the 996, and the car has plenty of air bags. So, I know there are all sorts of factors playing into the risk, and I have to figure that out for myself. I guess there are plenty of people who go on track with new Porsches that are relying on stock safety equipment. One thing I would definitely do to the car before going on track is to upgrade the brakes. For those in the know, I have the stock, non-Performance Pack brakes, and I am not going on a track with that setup.
Mark,

Lots of good questions in your post. One of the big questions is do you want a dual use car?
I had similar issues a few years ago when I purchased my DD. One of my key considerations was the ease of swapping pads and rotors. I don’t know how simple that is with your GTI. For our Beetle it is a PITA.

I came to the conclusion that a dual use car was not going to be good in either application and started looking for an inexpensive track car. Tried a couple of M3’s as an inexpensive option and liked both of them but decided that I really wanted a Porsche for HPDE which lead to my current 944 Turbo.

If you want to get back to the track on a regular basis get a “relatively” inexpensive track car. COVID-19 changed my thought process along with good timing and I decided to go all in with my latest track car. When the opportunity arose to purchase my current track car, sat my wife down and she was surprisingly accommodative.

Lots of good options, M3, FRS, Miata etc. Have “the” conversation with the Mrs. and good luck

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 01-19-2021, 09:45 AM

racer

While I think the GTI could be made into a fun track car, I think after one or two sessions you will be bored and want to make it more than a Dual Driver like Karl mentions.

Tires will be the first issue.. Then suspension will seem soft and then turbo heat will need to be managed etc.

fwiw, about 15 years ago I took my WRX to a Chin/Traquest DE at Watkins Glen. A bunch of us brought our "street cars". While the car was fun/entertaining, at somepoint I came in after punting a track out cone in turn 11 (the fast left before the right onto the front straight) because I hit it with my license plate.. I came in immediately as I wanted to make sure the plate was still there. Got out.. saw the plate was still on and while getting back into the car saw huge plumes of smoke coming off the brakes. be prepared!

fwiw, I am trying to get back to DE's this year with my 924S (a sub $5k purchase) and maybe bring my older son out too (at least to ax, maybe the track next year). I've been working out my left arm to handle all the passing signals that having only 150hp affords

https://mart.pca.org/ads/47378 - maybe you should find another FEWC?
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc

Last edited by racer; 01-19-2021 at 09:55 AM.