Any MegaSquirt users? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Any MegaSquirt users?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:32 PM

Shifted
Default Any MegaSquirt users?

Is anyone here using MegaSquirt? I'm planning on converting my turbocharged 928 to it. I'm figuring on the MS3Pro Ultimate with dual CAN bus WB02 controllers, blended MAF and speed density tune, and wireless gauges using an android app (on a dedicated tablet).

I'm looking for any input that you've got before I pull the trigger.

Happy to discuss here or offline.

Thank you!

1987 928 S4 - Turbocharged w/ ~600 TQ/WHP, Front/Rear big brake upgrade, MegaSquirt, and a few other things.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Wannabe watching here...
Old 06-23-2022, 03:11 PM

Shifted

I went ahead and ordered everything. I've been building a tune offline while I wait for the ECU. About 3/4 of the way done. That's the easy part.

Edevinny, are you switching to MegaSquirt also?

1987 928 S4 - Turbocharged w/ ~600 TQ/WHP, Front/Rear big brake upgrade, MegaSquirt, and a few other things.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:36 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I'm looking at what it'll take to FI my 68 volvo, so not really a switch. Much less ambitious than your project, for sure.
There is a good amount of discussion and maybe expertise on the grassroots mtorosports forums. They'd certainly follow a tech/build thread for a twin turbo 928.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:04 PM

Shifted

Since my turbocharging is already done and working with reprogrammed ECU's, there's not much to this next stage beyond the ECU installation.

My daughter and I started bench testing the new ECU today. Already loaded the full tune onto it and wired in one of the O2 sensors on the CAN network. Everything looks good so far. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing!

Old 06-28-2022, 11:42 AM

oehecht

I just moved to the area and found this forum. I’ve been running MS3 with MSX on my ‘82 sc for probably 15 years now. Most of the time with sequential fuel injection and EDIS ignition, but I just converted to a dual-plug COP setup and I’m happy to share my experiences with anyone working on it or looking into it.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:27 AM

Shifted

Did you integrate the factory VSS into MegaSquirt? If so, how did you do it?

Old 06-29-2022, 10:18 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

I have a Microsquirt on the 914/6 but its not running yet. Using a Haltech on the 911. So, interested in your progress.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 07-22-2022, 03:52 PM

Shifted

I'm making progress on this and plan to begin the installation next week.

There has been a lot of research, planning, documenting and calculating. I doubt if the Dorkiphus audience at large is interested, but if someone else would like some of the spreadsheets I've created, or the manufacturer specification documents I've collected, I'm happy to email them to you.

The only big unknown at this point is how the ignition map is going to scale to the new MAF. I converted my existing working ignition map into a scale appropriate for the new MAF, but it looks like it's offset in the middle. I won't know for sure until I fire the car up and start collecting logs on the road. It shouldn't take long to get it dialed back in, though.

The other unknown is the knock sensing. I've calculated all of the theoretical parameters, but it will take logging the running engine before I can dial those in.

I've created a couple of new wiring diagrams, and ordered all of the parts that make sense to replace when I pull off the intake manifold to get at the TPS.

The options in the MegaSquirt are really nice. I've set it up to cut the AC compressor at full throttle, to kill the radiator fans above 60mph, to turn on the radiator fans when manifold air temps get high, to only run the oil cooler fans if the engine is warmed up and engine running, etc. So many options.

The VSS wire is conveniently close to where the stock ECU's mount, so it will be easy to tie into that.

I also created a couple of dashboards for my magnetically mounted tablet on the dash. This will replace my current analog boost/AFR gauges.

Ignore the values. Those are just dummy numbers during the rolling gauge "demo". I think that the size will be just right, but it will take some getting used to having a modern display on the dash.

In the mean time, I've been driving the car and doing 6 alignments on it to get it exactly how I want it. I think that I might have a problem!
Attached Images

Last edited by Shifted; 07-22-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:52 AM

Shifted

Sacrilege for the purists, but I cut the oem ecu connectors off, labeled all wires, capped the ones that I don't need, then bundled the unneeded wires to keep them tidy. It's split loom so I can pull wires out later if I end up needing them.

Hopefully, I will get the new ecu connectors installed today and then start on the engine wiring tomorrow.
Attached Images