WTB 924/924 Turbo - Page 6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » WTB 924/924 Turbo

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Dave L.
Default Mine's a yellow-one...with AUTO!!!!

If like me you rather unreasonably like '77 924s with an automatic here's the condition you ought to be aiming for- to save you in the long run! I have had this car for about 10-years and have driven it +/- 10,000 miles, including one coast-to-coast in summer with no issues. It'll never be a barn-burner, that's fer shure. But I knew that. Expensive maintenance at reputable independents Intersport and RPM was a surprise. If you're still looking, save your money, and enjoy a genuine preservation candidate. They are cheap and cheerful, but will never impress the go-faster crowd. That's OK! It's a hobby fer gawd's sake! To give you the measure, some cars cost more to service than this one costs to buy! R/Dave L. P.S. Apart from my 911, I have a number of other deeply unfashionable cars! Pics to further annoy Dorkis!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 924-under-TX-star.jpg (72.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Bday-007.jpg (175.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Non-12s-02.jpg (58.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1328.jpg (82.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Xmas 03 005.jpg (113.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Xmas 03 006.jpg (109.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow-Car-LHS-JUL07.jpg (44.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 924 comfy with 911 1FEB04.jpg (80.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 924-interior-tidy.jpg (37.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 924-detail-JUN05-1.jpg (58.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 924-interior-JAN07.jpg (58.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Xmas 03 026.jpg (138.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 PM

chuckw911e

Dave, that's a great 924. I haven't seen many for sale in that condition, at least around these parts. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm not a current PCA member, so I haven't been able to scan those classifieds.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Pro DE driver

good hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw911e View Post
Dave, that's a great 924. I haven't seen many for sale in that condition, at least around these parts. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'm not a current PCA member, so I haven't been able to scan those classifieds.
You can join as an associate member. It's well worth it. The best most cared for cars are owned by PCA members.

2014 GTB1 World Champion
8 Time National DE champion

88 911 Cup
13 Boxster S
1969 Saab Sonett
2005 Cayenne
2013 Cayenne
2014 F150
Hurricane race trailer with A/C
05 Cup car
02 Koni 996
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
If like me you rather unreasonably like '77 924s with an automatic here's the condition you ought to be aiming for- to save you in the long run! I have had this car for about 10-years and have driven it +/- 10,000 miles, including one coast-to-coast in summer with no issues. It'll never be a barn-burner, that's fer shure. Apart from my 911, I have a number of other deeply unfashionable cars! Pics to further annoy Dorkis!
Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you, I have seen this car and it is a real beauty, if you can say that about a 924

Post a few pictures of your other deeply unfashionable cars!

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Dave L.
Default Expect to pay $4 to $6K for a perfect one!

To the point of this thread: These cars are still out there, and as mentioned PCA is a good source. Although I see you've been looking at less expensive 'drivers' the preservation candidate cars are not expensive- but can be fun to play with- even given the surfeit in power with earlier models (squeeking out 110 HP if you're lucky!) But the point is to get a car that is already in excellent shape and will be more readily brought up to a standard that means you're much more likely to treasure it. I talked for ages with another 924 collector (the guy featured in Panorama with a NA and Turbo show-winners) and we agreed that the absolute show-winning best low-mileage early 924s were worth little more than $6K to serious collectors wanting true-concourse ready examples. I mean tops. Nice 944s were similarly inexpensive and there are tons of good to excellent examples worth looking at for the same range of dollars. Porsche folks point out that these unfashionable cars are at a price nadir that won't last forever. (Except perhaps for Auto 924s!!) So my recommendation is (if you must have an early 924) to patiently look for a closet beauty, be ready to fork out a modest five grand if absolutely warranted, and drive home in a nearly-new 36 year old car! Ho Ho! All MHO. Others will know far more than I. I'll reserve posting pics of my other unfashionable motors for now! I'm off for a drive in my bloated CL500! R/Dave L.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

chuckw911e

Dave,

I appreciate your advice, thanks for posting on this thread. By any chance did you find your 77 924 at AICAUTO in PA? I've watched that website for years and have only seen a couple of 924s..I seem to remember a yellow 924 auto. I bought my old 1995 968 from AICAUTO in 2006. Maybe I should check with them to see if they know any cars for sale.

re: get a car that is already in excellent shape.

Point well taken....as I've looked at several candidates, I start to think what it would take to recover seats, fixed a crack dash, etc....and the prices add up quick. Not easy to find a nice 924. Many of them have had a tough life.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...044082137.html ("This is a great restoration project, because it will need so little")

At the same time I would like to find a decent car to have something to drive...

I spotted this 924 on Ebay in VA...looks nice but what will it need?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...orcev4exp=true

I'm hestitant to get a 924S that will need belts, water pump, tires, brakes, head gasket, rod bearings, etc. right around the corner. I guess that could be true with any P-car.

re: Nice 944s were similarly inexpensive and there are tons of good to excellent examples worth looking at for the same range of dollars.

I like 944s, but it seems like 944s (especially red ones) are everywhere. Plus the 924 has a more interesting tachometer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
To the point of this thread: These cars are still out there, and as mentioned PCA is a good source. Although I see you've been looking at less expensive 'drivers' the preservation candidate cars are not expensive- but can be fun to play with- even given the surfeit in power with earlier models (squeeking out 110 HP if you're lucky!) But the point is to get a car that is already in excellent shape and will be more readily brought up to a standard that means you're much more likely to treasure it. I talked for ages with another 924 collector (the guy featured in Panorama with a NA and Turbo show-winners) and we agreed that the absolute show-winning best low-mileage early 924s were worth little more than $6K to serious collectors wanting true-concourse ready examples. I mean tops. Nice 944s were similarly inexpensive and there are tons of good to excellent examples worth looking at for the same range of dollars. Porsche folks point out that these unfashionable cars are at a price nadir that won't last forever. (Except perhaps for Auto 924s!!) So my recommendation is (if you must have an early 924) to patiently look for a closet beauty, be ready to fork out a modest five grand if absolutely warranted, and drive home in a nearly-new 36 year old car! Ho Ho! All MHO. Others will know far more than I. I'll reserve posting pics of my other unfashionable motors for now! I'm off for a drive in my bloated CL500! R/Dave L.

Last edited by chuckw911e; 09-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Dave L.
Default Yes, AIC back in '02 or '03?

Yes, the yellow car was a Holbert delivered PA car, one owner with +/- 16K miles when I purchased it for my girlie! I was looking for a 'starter' Porsche that would not be a challenge to drive, and this old extremely clean, extremely lo-miles example fit the bill. AC worked too! Nowadays, my PCA concourse winning friend Art (preservation class 924s) and I are confident that $5K to $6K is the limit for show-queen quality cars of this type. They do trade privately, probably because they're of very limited interest to most Porsche folks. But as you see, you can purchase a tired one for $500! I like the 924S. If you can live with some wear on the car, and are willing to make the initial deferred maintenance premium, they are much better drivers, and although equally derided by some, are a really very nice development of the original 'humble' first series. I believe that I put about $4000 into the yellow car for its complete re-commissioning at Intersport. Later, keeping up the maintenance even on this 'poor man's Porsche' ate up a couple more Gs. Hence the conundrum over pitching for a 'doer-upper' or as near perfect a car as you can find! The expenses are either spread out over the refurb, or paid all at once (and more later!) as you drive a near perfect one. No one said we were very smart to get into this game! Ho Ho! R/Dave Contact me by PM if you'd like to call to discuss, or if I can help. R/Dave L. PCA, MBCA, some cars, etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Looks interesting

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...075986787.html

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM

Dave L.
Default Chuck, sent you a PM, R/Dave L.

Hmmm...that's a mighty rare brown hue on that Turbo! Looks like an honest ad, though. I expect the owner would deal down a bit. R/Dave L.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

There's a 931 hood for sale in another thread. You could buy one piece by piece.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending