Crappy tool pic (tap) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Crappy tool pic (tap)

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads
Default Crappy tool pic (tap)

I know this has been discussed before (drills/taps) but I couldn't find the thread. Anyway, I needed to tap some 4-40 holes in some thin steel. Drilled the pilot holes and went to look for my taps. Crap, don't have a 'good' one in the box so had to settle for my made in ??? HSS kit. Im reluctant to say china as they're typ quite well made. Even HSS vs carbon steel. No Greenfield (USA) but decent. Except the 4-40 it turns out...

So, I start tapping the hole and hear light 'crunching'. I figure its just the chips and keep turning it back a partial turn to break them. After about the right depth I pull (!??!?) the tap out. Something doesn't look right. They undercut the root of the threads so thin the teeth just break off FWIW, The thread form doesn't look very good either.

NOW, I have to order a real tap and hope I can clean the HSS bits out of the existing hole so I don't ruin that one.
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM

scotty b

You started a thread about a tap......................................... ...........
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

The sad part of all this is when you walk into a Home Depot or Lows or Tractor Supply or the like and all you see is the crappy stuff. Lot of people are going to grow up thinking this is the norm.

Used to be you could at least pick good or "cheap" Now all you can find in many places is "crappy".

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

That's a bummer. As a two-or-three-times-a-year mechanic, I find it difficult to know sometimes when a tool is good vs crap. I went through a couple extractors a while back, going more expensive each time (Sears, HD). I stopped short of super-expensive, as I no longer had confidence after the two lesser ones snapped.

But what is the best course for those of us who may not be tool-saavy? I've read enough to know Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc. have a lot of good stuff, but also have some crappy stuff that is priced like its made out of gold or platinum. and it's even more hit-or-miss if you buy through the internet, as you can't lay your hands on it before purchasing.

Anyone know of online vendors who seem to sell only high-quality mechanics tools?

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM

HoodPin

FWIW, I think that some of the pricing from SnapOn and MacTools, is based upon anticipated "life time replacement" replacements. But I believe this is only offered to customers with accounts. I'm not sure how their warranties actually work.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty b View Post
You started a thread about a tap......................................... ...........
You should know something about "tools" Scott I was both pissed and intrigued as I have never seen a tap fail like that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Anyone know of online vendors who seem to sell only high-quality mechanics tools?
No. I think all brands have some lemons. Even Porsche made a 924 I personally don't mind buying tools (or clothes) over the internet. Sears doesn't carry anything good anymore so what choice do I have? I guess I could walk into Grainger and pay too much (thats not entirely true.) I trust some brands but have no problem sending something back if its poorly made. Shipping is cheap if you factor time wasted getting to/from a store, gas, project delay due to a broken tools, etc.

Though now a days I seem to buy more 'niche' tools based on seeing or a friends or reviews at the local machinists meetings. The twist handle stanley ratchet Kurt has is a huge timesaver in some situations. Not my "go to" handle but still a good tool to have. I bought several and gave them to the family as Christmas gifts.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-89-962.../dp/B000HEKV1W
(since its not obvious how its different - you can TWIST the handle back and forth to ratchet the head too. Great for tight places you can't swing it like a normal ratchet - though it works by swinging too.)

Same w/ Knipex "pliers wrenches" which are just TOO handy sometimes. FWIW the jaws stay parallel - they are way faster than an adj wrench and can do things like crimp/straighten/bend metal better than pliers. And have REALLY high mechanical advantage independent of where in the jaw you place an item.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...8&groupID=1500

Maybe we should start a cool tool thread. And ban Scott from it
Attached Images

1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM

cmartin

Quote:
buy more 'niche' tools
x2

I have taps that only use in epoxy, some just for steel. After dropping a good one overboard I stopped bringing them to the boat.

Some of the Lowes wrenches are nice, same for HD and Sears. Sadly, no broad statements anymore, it really depends on the specific tool.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

Klein?
facom?
sk?

would these qualify as quality as well?
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 PM

scotty b

WhudIdooo ??
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM

scotty b

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{arlequin View Post
Klein?
facom?
sk?

would these qualify as quality as well?
Yes.

Craftsman has been complete junk for the last 10-15 years. I've got a Husky ratchet that has held up very well. A set of Matco screwdrivers that have had 3 tips break on so far, I can't find a decent deadblow that will hold up to real use yet.

FYI Snap-On's lifetime warranty only applies to hand tools. Air tools only have a 2 year on them, then you pay