Bavarian Technic code reader available* - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » Bavarian Technic code reader available*

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default Bavarian Technic code reader available*

* restriction apply. Void where prohibited.

So I purchased a Bavarian Technic cable for dealing with my recent water pump issues. I bought the pro version of the cable so that I could help out others locally and use it when looking potential cars to buy (my son is looking at E46s).

For those who don't know, the BT cable is made by the same people who make the Durametic cable for Porsche and is basically the same in operation. Basically a OBD2 reader that is very BMW specific, and is able to clear codes and read faults on most newer BMWs. The one BIG exception unfortunately are E90s with the N55 engines (E90 335 models). Supposedly the new F30 cars work as do E90/92 based M3s.

There are two restrictions however:

1. I won't lend the cable out. It's a $700 cable that is very easy to damage/lose. I'm more than happy to help you, however, provided that:
2. You are a Dorki sponsor in good standing - i.e. you sent in a donation in the last 12 mos.

If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quick update - thanks the BMW and their laziness, I now own the round diagnostic adapter for E36s and early E39s/E46s.

As it turns out, when BMW put OBD2 ports in with the E46 in 1999, they sort of half-assed it. They needed to comply with the OBD2 law, but man they already had this sweet round connector under the hood. What to do? Well, they made engine codes available via the OBD2 port, and that's all. All the other diagnostic info (ABS, transmission, central body electrics, etc) is only available via the round under hood connector.

The best part is that I got to learn this the hard way. I bought my 1999 E46 and did a code check. Couple engine codes and that's all. Great! I'll buy the car. Start to look more in depth... the BT cable can't connector to anything except the engine. WTF? I paid $700 for this f**king thing - it better connect to everything damnit!

Call BT support - they give me the news - yeah, BMW screwed you. But we're here for you. $70 later and the round cable should be here in a few days.
1999 E46 328i