Cam Timing Help needed for 1988 911 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Cam Timing Help needed for 1988 911

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:47 AM

downer_22
Default Cam Timing Help needed for 1988 911

I am in the process of putting my engine back together after a top-end rebuild and could use some help from someone who has some experience with Cam Timing. Also, it would be nice if the person that volunteers to help has the tools necessary for the job. I have the cam bar but need the dial gauge, Z-block and pin removal tool. I am flexible with the time but would like to do it next weekend (May 15). I am waiting for new chain ramps, which should be in Thursday of next week so it has to be after that day. Once I get an expert (or experienced person), I will post the time and the place so that others may come and help and or watch the process. Please let me know if you are available to help and when you want to do it. I am in Oak Hill (Herndon) Virginia.

Thanks,
Gregg
Old 05-07-2004, 04:53 PM

Mackpipes
Default pin removal tool

Gregg,
You don't need a pin removal tool. If you unscrew the end of an old bosch (sp) spark plug. The part that the plug wire attacches to. The threads are the same as the sprocket pin. I'm at the same stage of my rebuild. I'm lacking a z block as well. I ordered one today, You are welcome to use it once I'm done.

Ted
Old 05-09-2004, 11:00 PM

dyerkes

No helpful tools, but I will be there to help.

David
1986 911 Turbo
Old 05-11-2004, 01:47 PM

William Miller

I have the tools, but no time this coming weekend.

If your barrowing stuff It would be really nice to have 2 "Z"bars and dial gauges that are in the same unit of measure. I recently bought a metric. Just after that I think my Brother let me use his english.

With 2 you can check/adjust both cams with out setting up twice. I think this will make it easier to get them matched. It's more important to get them matched than it is to get the exact setting. You'll probably find one where the pin will fit in the hole at the exact spot and the other will be exact only with some slop in the pin.

Also make sure there is no slop in the chain.
Don't forget to check valve to piston clearances. I rebuilt my engine to stock specs and found the intake clearance to be too tight. I retarded the timing a bit and it was fine.

Do you have Waynes book?
'08 335i Blue Sedan
'05 Chevy Tahoe green
'98 Jeep Cherokee XJ "Blue"
'01 Toyota 4 Runner "Pearl"

Darnestown, Maryland