951 Fuel Lines - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:46 AM

dnwong
Default 951 Fuel Lines

So I decided to take on a COVID project this weekend on the 951. I bought a set of Rennbay fuel lines back in 2015 and was going to attempt to change them out today.

I started to take the car apart and removed the return line that goes to the regulator. The new replacement line is really tight so before I cut the hard line, I wanted to take an assessment of the old lines to justify the effort. The old line look really clean the the rubber hose were still flexible. In fact the original hose look thicker than the new hoses.

I need some opinions as to whether it really needs to be replaced. The car is really clean and even the tub under the liner has very little dirt. Seems like I may not gain much from changing out the lines.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build

Last edited by dnwong; 04-19-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Replace it. The ethanol in the fuel now eats from the inside out so you can't go by the exterior. The newer hoses are a bit more tolerant to ethanol. A little trick I do is to flip the FPR 180 degrees so it feeds from the firewall side and allows you to route the new lines closer to the firewall. (See the pic)This helps so some of the radiant heat from the manifold doesn't convect straight up on the lines. You can also wrap them with any kind of header wrap or heat reflecting material for extra protection. Make sure to test fit with whatever length of hose you got. The compression fittings need to be staggered so they are not next to each other.
Attached Images

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.

Last edited by TurboPooch; 04-20-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:45 AM

dnwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
Replace it. The ethanol in the fuel now eats from the inside out so you can't go by the exterior. The newer hoses are a bit more tolerant to ethanol. A little trick I do is to flip the FPR 180 degrees so it feeds from the firewall side and allows you to route the new lines closer to the firewall. (See the pic)This helps so some of the radiant heat from the manifold doesn't convect straight up on the lines. You can also wrap them with any kind of header wrap or heat reflecting material for extra protection. Make sure to test fit with whatever length of hose you got. The compression fittings need to be staggered so they are not next to each other.
I guess the issue with alcohol would be a good enough justification to do the conversion. Are there other rubber parts in the fuel system that needs addressing?
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build