you know what makes our hobby look cheap? - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » you know what makes our hobby look cheap?

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

(202) 278-2000

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Dagger!!!

986SChris

'05 Prius

We can win the east...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

For those interested:

I've slowly been collecting parts to build a 300b tube amplifier. This is purely for the DIY fun factor and also out of curiosity to hear what all the hubbub is about. Unfortunately, I choose what seems to be the most expensive tube to build around, but the architecture and tube combination are considered to be the simplest and purest sounding. I guess if you are going to do it, do it right. I have a bunch a vinyl left from my uncle and would be neat to hear it in all its glory.

Schematic and details here: http://www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/mk2300bmk1.html

The above picture and schematic is per mono block. Current thinking is to combine dual mono blocks into one chassis. It’s going to be big and heavy.

Don't look at the bottom line. He went overboard on the transformers and chokes (bet it sounds awesome though). I'll be using similarly rated components, but definitely not these 'boutique' beauties.

Part sourcing has been interesting. I'm being patient and picking up items as I find good deals on them. Ebay is king!!

Here are some pics:

This guy didn’t know what he had. Bought 5 tubes for $6/tube. These are GE (rebranded Sylvania) signal tubes. Supposedly one of the best sounding signal tubes. Easily $20/tube.

Found these rectifier tubes in Australia. Matched pair from the factory, still in sealed boxes from the 1960's. Half the price.

Gold plated binding post and RCA jacks from the east. These are heavy.

Boutique brand volume and hum balance potentiometers, NIB. Bought 2 of each (1 for each channel) for less than half of one from an online dealer:

Gold plated tube sockets. Again, very good deal

Still need to purchase the expensive transformers, 300b output tubes, misc resistors, capacitors, wire, etc. No rush...I'll sit and wait patiently
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Dangerous tinkerer

Mike W

Charlie,

When you get this all together let me know. If you do this up here I would love to learn.

$ prevents me from doing this myself.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Cool, looks like fun. Of course, I looked at the bottom line.

How long does it take to warm up?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 AM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

it takes ab a minute for it pipe decent sound but it's good to go wild ab 10 minutes... some people claim longer.

i've often left mine on for days at a time...
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Cool, looks like fun. Of course, I looked at the bottom line.
Don't He spent about 2K alone on iron (transformers) on this second iteration. There are plenty of GOOD sounding hifi value transfomers out there. In his first project he used Hammond brand chokes and output transformers. These are very budget (some say experimental grade) transformers. Hence his want to 'do it better next time'. I suspect my iron costs are going to be about $600 (currently not in the budget).

Quote:
How long does it take to warm up?
Don't know exactly. The signal and output tubes are directly heated AC. So their fillaments are get warm almost immediately after power is switched on. The rectifier tube on the other hand (which supplies high DC voltage to the above tubes) is indirectly heated and wont put out full volatage until it gets warm. So the signal and output tubes wait for the rectifier to wake up (get warm)....I dunno, well see.

Break-in is another story. If all parts are sourced new, it will take time to fully break in the amp. Tubes are considered broken in after 100 hours or so. Capacitors also require a break in period. Some capacitors actually default back to their 'new status' if not used frequently, and require the break in process to happen again before sounding good again.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stylianos

Break-in is another story. If all parts are sourced new, it will take time to fully break in the amp. Tubes are considered broken in after 100 hours or so. Capacitors also require a break in period. Some capacitors actually default back to their 'new status' if not used frequently, and require the break in process to happen again before sounding good again.
This fascinates me on a social level. I enjoy something that sounds good but that seems like so much effort to listen to music, at what point would it be more effort than it's worth? At what point do your ears start fading out?

Then again, to many people, a Hyundai will get you from point A to B with far less effort than we put into our cars.

Dave/Mike I still need to take you up on the listening to your systems. I'm afraid it will be another crack pipe to me.......
Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Dangerous tinkerer

Mike W

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve
Dave/Mike I still need to take you up on the listening to your systems. I'm afraid it will be another crack pipe to me.......
Anytime. Right now I took mine apart to fix a few things and want to redo the wires (they were a mess behind the cabinet). I hope to get it back together tonight.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
This fascinates me on a social level.
Same. Hanging around some of the DIY audio sites puts what we do to shame. Some of these guys are truely insane. Honestly, I want to do it right the first time and then just set it and forget it....don't know if that will be possible, though.

Mike. I don't know where or when I'm actually going to start the building process. Its a looong road. I'll let you know.