HOAs, HOEs, now old MCs - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » HOAs, HOEs, now old MCs

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM

Noah has one HoF thread

I'll start prepping the prosthetic limbs for you guys.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah
I'll start prepping the prosthetic limbs for you guys.
LMAO
Old 04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW911
Have you seen the new retro Ducs? I want one.

Bill W.
you mean this one? I'm salivating...

the yellow that Charlie posted isn't bad either...
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 PM

BW911

That one would do it, Dave.

Bill W.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 PM

Spike

I ride a 1974 Triumph Trident, myself. Sold my 71 Daytona
a few years back. Who else here is an old bike buff?

Love the old bikes. No electric starters, no plastic...
I've had it since 1982. And I like the retro Ducati's a lot, too.
Wish I had disposable income.....

----------------------
1988 Turbo coupe, Electromotive TecGT EFI, Tial WG/.9bar, 8:1CR. SC330 cams, Turbokraft Intercooler, 21/29 TB's, Wevo shifter, B&B headers, GT35R turbo
Old 04-08-2005, 08:21 PM

BW911

Emery, Glad to hear it. I sold my oil-in-frame Bonnie last fall on Ebay. Bought a '79 HD shovelhead, a Low Rider Fat Bob, kicker, very stock. I like the old stuff too.

Bill W.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

I don't like the retro throwback type bike's the MC manu's are building now. Maybe my dislike all started when Kawasaki came out with the W650. Absolutely no Japanese soul of the old, just a English wannabe with jap components.

Don’t know about the duke’s (that silver one looks tasty), but these totally lack the soul of the originals. Yes, they blended the old style with new technology for hassle free ownership. But for me, really enjoying these bikes is the tinkering that’s involved and understanding the idiosyncrasies of your particular bike (tickling the carbs, timing the points, knowing the exact starting procedure for your little devil, the smell of oil, gas, etc). No better satisfaction than getting an old bike started on first kick and have it purr like a kitten. Yes, I'm into them....Think its spring fever kicking in.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:29 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

LOL, we're gonna need a support club....

the only thing I like about the W650 is the fact that it still has a (working) kickstart and the disc brakes are nice to have

someday I'm going to be able to own a Black Shadow, Commando, and the MHR....

Nortons:

Modern Norton:

couple of Vincents:

the blacked out motor is sooo bada$$

modern Vincent:

Vincent motor in a Norton frame (that thing *barely* fits in there ) :

now where's that lottery ticket?
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW911
Emery, Glad to hear it. I sold my oil-in-frame Bonnie last fall on Ebay. Bought a '79 HD shovelhead, a Low Rider Fat Bob, kicker, very stock. I like the old stuff too.
Bill W.
Bill, you’re a God
Now I have LH AND 2 wheel envy
Since I sold my ’74 Sporty, bored and stroked, SS carb, Sifton minis minis cams, (Black). I’ve been missing the sound and smell of a big twin in the morning more and more
My first vehicle was a ’61 Sporty that I rode for years before I ever had a car, that ran, (stock (Mustard Yellow)
Circumstances dictated that I ride a 4 cylinder Honda into the ground after finding out my first marriage was just a dress rehearsal (also Mustard Yellow)

I guess I’m always been predisposed to vehicles that leave deposits on the garage floor

The best transportation = ’74 Honda 4 (100K in four years)
Most missed; ’50 HD Pan Head, fat bobs, wide glide, 21” front wheel, foot clutch, drag pipes, short king & queen seat, a bunch of little things that seemed way cool in the ‘70s (Black w/just a shadow of gold metal flake on front of tank(s). Built it myself over one winter in the basement of my townhouse 8)
Close second - ’65 British Small Arms Lightening (750cc Rout big bore), stock on the outside except for TT bars. (Stock Candy Apple Red)
Runner up – ’65 BSA Lightening chopper, chrome frame, 6” over front forks, 7” pullbacks, 16” & 21” wheels, pad and pillion, tooled leather battery cover (Black, just black with a lot of $$ chrome)

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 PM

BW911

Dave R, First time I've been called that! I loved the BSA, the early Hondas. I remember when a neighbor got a Honda 90 in the early 60s, and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

As for the Pan, I hear you. Say, I went to Daytona last month with a group of guys also into old bikes. We had '67 and '69 FLH Electra Glide, one totally unrestored after 25 years in a SE DC backyard, but made running. Both are generator shovels. Also, an '80 alternator shovel Electra Glide, a 71 Triumph Tiger, heavily modified; my FXEF, and an 80s FXR. My Fat Bob is black with a subtle blue metal flake, a repaint by someone sometime. As you know about shovels, they break a lot. But that makes them fun; you just fix them. One night in Fla, my forward foot shifter lever fell off. Tied it back on with a boot string and kept going.

Charlie, You know, I kind of like that W650 and thought about buying one. I kind of think they did a better job recreating the old bonnie than the new Triumph did what what they call the Bonneville. Yes, it's Japanese, but you can ride it without worrying how you'll get home.

As for the Black Shadow, here's what Hunter S. Thompson wrote about it a decade ago, recounted in this month's Cycle World:
"If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society. The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the governor of Texas at the same time.''

He was reviewing a hot Duc for the mag in 1995. The full HST piece is here, if you want to read it: http://www.ducatigirl.com/wsmc/2003/sausage.html

Yes, clearly, we need a support group. Or a 12 step program.

Bill W.