Rumor has it: ECS owns Pelican now - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Rumor has it: ECS owns Pelican now

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 AM
not a real doctor.

DrFraserCrane

I'll pile on with my aversion to ECS that keeps getting reinforced every so often I am lured back in.

Background: in 2007 I entered the VW scene with a Mk5 GLI and an 86 Scirocco. As best I can tell, this is about when ECS really started gaining traction in the VW scene, and I admit I was wowed by their catalog and their ease of use of same.

Fastforward to many orders later, and the shipping became the issue for me -- there was no sense of if parts were in stock, special order, backordered, coming in the same shipment, or anything else. I do recall that if they split your order, they dinged you for multiple shipping charges.

I gravitated away from ECS after they started handling parts for many, many more brands than just VAG products. I do admit, their catalog is still very impressive.

Most recently - I was unaware that Pelican and Turner were both owned by ECS now.

about 4 weeks ago I ordered a set of Turner wheel spacers, and I was met with that oh-so-familiar shipping timeframe disappointment. I ordered them 6 days before an event, and the spacers showed up the end of day of the event (after an autocross). Adding insult to injury, when I did finally get the spacers they ended up being approx. .15mm out of uniform around the spacers (spent the next event trying to diagnose a vibration before breaking out the digital caliper). When I requested a return and refund, and saw the Wadworth, Ohio address, it clicked, and I did some digging and found the ECS connection. In their defense they did not quibble over a refund for their error, but I was hugely disappointed to hear that Turner is owned by ECS and the product seems to have been hurt in the process. (I will note this is not the first set of ECS spacers that I have had that were out of uniform -- had I known Turner was part of ECS I would have stayed away)

Currently I am waiting on an order from Pelican that appears it will also arrive late for an event, and having the information in this thread, I am no longer surprised why.

Live and learn....and find another parts supplier.
'95 M3
'95 C2 Coupe
Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM

onboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFraserCrane View Post
I'll pile on with my aversion to ECS that keeps getting reinforced every so often I am lured back in.

Background: in 2007 I entered the VW scene with a Mk5 GLI and an 86 Scirocco. As best I can tell, this is about when ECS really started gaining traction in the VW scene, and I admit I was wowed by their catalog and their ease of use of same.

I gravitated away from ECS after they started handling parts for many, many more brands than just VAG products. I do admit, their catalog is still very impressive.

When I requested a return and refund, and saw the Wadworth, Ohio address, it clicked, and I did some digging and found the ECS connection.
Yes, thank you for that! I kept trying to remember ECS as not being into VW so much I had a friend with a Turbo'd VW Golf that was always raving about ECS..

So late last year, I was looking for some SS brake lines for the large BMW Brembo calipers and Turner didn't have them but ECS did.. simple enough so I ordered them.

Early this year, I needed the remainder of the SS brake line set, and went to Turner Motorsport... they didn't want to honor my usual discount, and having been a friend of Will's way back I asked for him and was told he wouldn't be available for several weeks... I needed the stuff asap and ordered anyway leaving a msg for him to give me a call which I'm sure he didn't get.. So it finally "clicked for me," like you, when the parts arrived and I "saw the Wadworth, Ohio address."

I was fully aware of the Pelican Purchase last year as I'm there waaay too much, and decided to check-out the purchaser. To my surprise they had both ECS and Turner in their portfolio... and of course now Pelican.

Haven't had to order anything from them in a while so have no input on changes either.. not that their order processing was ever that great, they were enthusiast and tried real hard, and of course have always offered an excellent forum. We shall see!
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
So many cars..so little time!!