Edge tread wear - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Edge tread wear

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:51 PM

rbpeirce
Default Edge tread wear

I don't know why I didn't think of this forum earlier. Driving a Cayman I went to the Cayman Register first, but this is really a more general track issue and I've found members of this group to be very well informed.

I run PS4S on a Cayman and this year managed to cord the edges (after 13 track days) while I still had a lot of tread in the middle. Attached are photos of the left side pair and the right side pair. I try to run at about 35-37# hot which works well.

I'm not sure why. Pushing too hard is one possibility. Someone suggested I needed more sidewall stiffness but I always though the PS4S were fairly stiff; maybe I'm wrong. If so, I could use suggestions. A third possibility is this is just normal; tires and pads are consumables . Anyhow, I am looking for comments, ideas, suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Mark Hubley

I'm sure others know much more about this than me, but the same happens with me, and I assume the big culprit is negative camber. It is my assumption that lots of hard braking on wheels with significant negative camber will be hard on the inner edges of the tires. I guess driving in general with negative camber puts wear on the inner edges of the tires.

I have been in the habit of having my NT01's remounted after a few track events so that the inner edges become the outer edges. This has given me some extra wear.

This year I did not do many track events, but before hitting the track I installed camber plates up front to get a lot more negative camber. Before I got around to remounting the tires I had corded the inner edges of my front tires.

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 11-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Hunt + VG 2020

BlackTalon

That is pretty normal. If you ran enough camber to avoid this you would likely hate driving the car on the street. One way to increase tire life is to flip the tires on the wheels after a certain amount of track days (this only works if the tires are not asymmetrical).

- 2020 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Mark Hubley

Ah, I was thinking inside edges, as this is what I am dealing with now. If it is the outside edges, then as David suggested you could consider more camber.

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 11-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Hunt + VG 2020

BlackTalon

Good point -- he could be talking about inside edges. That could be a sign of too much negative camber as you suggested. Definitely much rarer to have that happen on the track, but seen it a bit on cars that have a track-oriented alignment but get driven on the street a lot with the same tires.

- 2020 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-25-2019, 02:53 PM

John Clay

I wore out and chunked the outer edges on my PS4's running autox. Not sure of the Cayman R's are different, but in stock form there is very little negative camber to be had on these cars. For street driven tires (and certainly for those of us abiding by class rules), I doubt much can be done.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 11-25-2019, 04:40 PM

BillC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpeirce View Post
I don't know why I didn't think of this forum earlier. Driving a Cayman I went to the Cayman Register first, but this is really a more general track issue and I've found members of this group to be very well informed.

I run PS4S on a Cayman and this year managed to cord the edges (after 13 track days) while I still had a lot of tread in the middle. Attached are photos of the left side pair and the right side pair. I try to run at about 35-37# hot which works well.

I'm not sure why. Pushing too hard is one possibility. Someone suggested I needed more sidewall stiffness but I always though the PS4S were fairly stiff; maybe I'm wrong. If so, I could use suggestions. A third possibility is this is just normal; tires and pads are consumables . Anyhow, I am looking for comments, ideas, suggestions.
It's hard to tell for sure from the tiny pics you posted, but it looks like you trashed the outside edges of your tires. On that assumption:

As pointed out earlier, this is primarily due to a lack of sufficient negative camber. However, putting in enough camber to prevent this will make the car far less pleasant to drive on the street and could be rather $$$ by the time you buy & install all the parts needed to get that camber.

A way to mitigate the wear you experienced is to upgrade your sway bars. IMO, upgrading sway bars is the most cost-effective suspension improvement you can make to a 987 (either gen). I did it to both of my past 987s, one of which was an R, and it greatly reduces the outside-edge wear without affecting ride quality too much. I've recommended this to other people as well, and they also saw improvement in outside-edge life.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1966 911 stuck in space dock
Old 11-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Keep in mind also that 13 track days is a lot longer than many see from set of tires. Track settings and street settings are not compatible for most folks. You can set things sort of in the middle and compromise both a bit. As said a good track setup is a chore and eats tires on the street.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)
Old 11-25-2019, 06:44 PM

rbpeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
A way to mitigate the wear you experienced is to upgrade your sway bars. IMO, upgrading sway bars is the most cost-effective suspension improvement you can make to a 987 (either gen). I did it to both of my past 987s, one of which was an R, and it greatly reduces the outside-edge wear without affecting ride quality too much. I've recommended this to other people as well, and they also saw improvement in outside-edge life.
Okay. This is a totally new idea to me. I'm assuming you are suggesting stiffer settings, but how does that work? I suspect it would tend to unload the inner wheels a bit but how does that help the outside?

Sorry about the small pics. Your web site uploads them and does what it wants. I tried clicking on them to see if they could be made bigger but no luck.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Use a photo editing program to change the max pixel dimension to 2000 (or less) and they will become bigger.

Stiffer means less body roll which means in most cars a bit less camber disturbance. Stiffer also opens up another level of suspension tuning, both good or bad depending, as ARB rates work in conjunction with other aspects.

as said a short term adjustment is to run symmetrical tread tires and flip them on the rim after a few days.

Welcome to the slippery slope!

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)