Dropping my Engine - Page 9 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Nice looking car! Good pic of you and SO in engine bay too! She's obviously still able to smile cause you haven't told her how much $$$$ the trans rebuild will be

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 AM

mgbruno

Well, she knows 3K but not the additional 1K I will need! But that should be ok - cause the tranny has had to be done for 3 years now - so I've been prepping her!!! Also, trust me, I did alot of the prep work the preceding days. When I undid the CV joints - I was directly underneath! A nice blob of nasty grease fell right on my head! So, that pic is obviously not an indicator of what really went on - laugh!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Great looking photos Mike. i was out in the cab yesterday...great day to be driving around. keep chugging...you are on a heck of a path to getting this done the dorki way...tito
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM

mgbruno

Hi All,
OK, Here are the gear ratios I am gonna go with :
1st - stock
2nd 17:35
3rd 20:31
4th 23:29
5th 25:26

Kindof worried about the whole thing - but I looked at the performance graphs - and this plan seemed to be the best to me. Thoughts???
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM

mgbruno
Default Waiting for Gears... while I am in there

Ok, I'm posting this here because its related. I'm waiting on the gears now - have them ordered - and have a bunch of little and other not so little project to tackle while everything is so accessible One of them is to remove the clutch. I removed the 9 allen bolts that hold the "preassure" plate in - but I cannot get it out! How the heck do you do this??? In the Pelican Tech article, they are working on a 901 - and after they remove the 9 bolts, they just pry out the plate. Good luck here! So, how do you do it????
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Pics of this would be nice Got'z some trans work in my future too.
Since I was in the garage with a camera. The edges of the clamp fit perfectly into the groove of the dog teeth. Clamp it in and tighten the nuts then rest the bolts on an open vise to hang the gear and the teeth (put some towels to catch the gear if it pops out - I put my hand under it) then whack the gear with a rubber faced hammer. Worked like a charm. BTW, the hooks serve no functional purpose - only threaded bolt I could find at home despot at the time - did serve well to level the contraption on the vise though.
Name:  Resized DSCF0393.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  210.6 KB
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 AM

mgbruno

Hi All,
Been playing with gear numbers quite a bit - and have come to the conclusion that the gear ratios I was thinking of going with (that I posted) are too short. Using this setup, my top would be about 120 mph and at 70 mph I would be at about 3500 rpm while at 80 mph I would be at 3800 rpm (in 5th gear). The very very nice thing with this setup would be that I could take my current 3rd gear and shift it to 4th - which would save me some $$. Using this plan, I would replace 2nd, 3rd and also 5th. Anyway, I'd be happy to listen to you're thoughts...

Another thing I was thinking of replacing (while I was in there) was the clutch. Been reading a bit and ok, so I would replace the pressure plate, throwout bearing and disc. Would I have to replace the flywheel too? Now I'm really increasing my costs. What do you guys think??? Again, I'd be interested in your opinions concerning redoing the clutch. Seems a shame not to tackle this project - while I have the engine out - but could I get by with just doing the plate, bearing, and disc - without doing the flywheel?

Mike
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

Can't offer much on gears other than what I've read - one setup that looked good to me was at Rennsport Systems Here (scroll just past halfway down the page for "915 modifications").

On the flywheel - take it to a machine shop and see if they can resurface it for you. Much cheaper than new.
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 AM

mgbruno

Hey Kirk,
Thanks - been to this site as well as others. Ran the numbers on a variety of plans and mine just seems to be a bit short. the last thing I wanna do is do all this work - and then be annoyed with the result you know! Concerning the flywheel - ok - resurfaced - but what about an aluminum one? Is it really THAT much better than the steel?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Quote:
but what about an aluminum one? Is it really THAT much better than the steel?
No, unless you are:

1. using a dual-mass boat anchor OEM flywheel [think 993..]
2. Racing .... and need every advantage possible.
3. Have a large desire to decrease moment of inertia and HAVE to have a motor that spins up faster.

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing