Replacing a trombone with a proper oil cooler. - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Replacing a trombone with a proper oil cooler.

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:28 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads
Default Replacing a trombone with a proper oil cooler.

Replacing a trombone with a proper oil cooler. The car already has slightly later fenders so that helps a bit.
First thing I like to remove the entire oil cooling loop together. This way I can work on the often hard stuck fittings with room and no chance of dinging some paint. Soak all the fittings with the penetrating oil of choice, wait a bit then heat the nuts. Once good and hot crank on the nuts. If stuck I like to load up the wrench and hit the wrench handle with a slugging hammer a time or two. No go? More oil and more heat. Not more torque which can strip off the thermostat housing threads. Repeat as needed until it comes loose. Super stuck and replacing the line? Jump ahead to the finish and cut the nut with a dremmel and a cut off wheel. As you can see someone cut a lock ring nut off at some point and made a mess of things. The housing and fitting boss were damaged but not leaking.
Drain the lines and if dirty, covered in paint and undercoating and you care about such things blob on paint stripper and wander off to work on the mounts.

Next is to measure up for the cooler mounts. There is a top and a bottom mount to add. I like to line up the top mount, tack it in then hang the cooler to line up the bottom mount. The bottom mount never ever fits right and you will need to do some fitting and bending. Use the cooler to show where it goes. Clean up the metal, tack then weld in. Take care not to dump too much heat into the metal at any given time. You can set the paint in the front trunk on fire. Clean the metal and weld in. Coat with seam seal and done for now. Will coat with undercoating once the seam seal dries overnight.

Next up is fixing the dented up brass lines
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 PM

JmuRiz

Your work is sloppy as always
I wish the 914 had enough space to put a cooler in front of the wheel wells
Would be perfect for your old core engine getting built up (finally).
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 09-27-2021, 01:11 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Cleaned up the lines with paint stripper. Flushed out the oil and plugged the ends. Pressurize to about 80 psi and heat with a plumbers torch. Like magic to watch the dents slowly come out. Sharp creases get a little gentle help via the slip joint pliers using the flat part of the jaws. Heat and wash the dents with the flame take your time and check the pressure now and then. The dents came out real well on this set.
Clean and sand off the rough bits and coat as desired. In this case it will be satin black. Was some conversation about shining them up but the metal has too many deep discolorations. Could buy new ones for the sale labor cost.
Beans the border collie black lab puppy picture has nothing to do with this project . It was in the same folder as the rest and it make me smile.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:39 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Lines clean inside and out with a nice coat of paint. Welded in brackets seam sealed and a first coat of undercoating.
Next up is hanging and assembling everything. Sounds simple except for the part where Nothing Ever Fits right out off the box.
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Ok time to cram it all back in. I spent some time dressing and cleaning up the new thermostat fittings and existing piping threads and ring nut threads. The thermostat fittings have soft, fine threads and they are very easy to bugger up. I like to make sure all work smoothly before they go onto the car. Hung the oil tubing and fit the thermostat to the tubing in the real wheel well. Got things lined up then went back and snugged everything up.
In front it is easiest to install the upper isolation mount then put the cooler, fittings, screen, lower rubber isolation mounts and gaskets together on the bench. Install a thermostat switch if a fan is to be added and a plug if not then present the whole thing. Once in install the short flex lines, adjust everything as needed and snug things up.

Next is air flow
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 AM

hoophead

What do you use to tighten the fittings on the thermostat, in particular the forward-most lower? I "customized" a 12pt 36mm socket by cutting a pipe-sized slot cut in the side and then welding a rod on the side, perpendicular to the axis, to use as a lever. A hose clamp is needed around the whole circumference to keep the socket from flexing.
'11 997.2 Carrera S Cab
'09 987.2 Cayman S
'12 Audi TT-RS
'05.5 Audi S4
'20 GMC Tow Beast
'03 986 Boxster Base (kid #3)
Old 09-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophead View Post
What do you use to tighten the fittings on the thermostat, in particular the forward-most lower? I "customized" a 12pt 36mm socket by cutting a pipe-sized slot cut in the side and then welding a rod on the side, perpendicular to the axis, to use as a lever. A hose clamp is needed around the whole circumference to keep the socket from flexing.
A wrench. I install the lines in a back to front order so they don’t get in the way of the next line being tightened.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:27 AM

Cairo94507 has one HoF thread

That is a very clean looking install.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:47 AM

tomfree

Came here for the killer resto work...left wanting to pet the pup.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:28 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Very nice work.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two