Great Drivers Ed Intro - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Great Drivers Ed Intro

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD in DC View Post
Shift when your motor needs you to shift. There are some guys who watch a few videos and shift where the person does in the video, or based on what others have said. The only problem is that if they are not driving as fast, it just means that they are short-shifting, which makes them even slower. No names have been mentioned in order to protect the innocent.
I agree with the "shift when your motor needs you to shift" and I guess I'm looking for the other direction, like T1. I found that I had to make a decision based on what I thought was correct with the speed I was carrying. I tried 2nd once and could not match rpm's and ended up with wheel hop, but 3rd seemed too low,but was easier to match and eventually pulled well and smooth. Same applies to the chute corner.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
I agree with the "shift when your motor needs you to shift" and I guess I'm looking for the other direction, like T1. I found that I had to make a decision based on what I thought was correct with the speed I was carrying. I tried 2nd once and could not match rpm's and ended up with wheel hop, but 3rd seemed too low,but was easier to match and eventually pulled well and smooth. Same applies to the chute corner.
heal-n-toe,
just so u-no,
will let you go,
without going slow,
or let the engine get low...
boy-0

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
Ditto on TD. If you're taking turns 3, 9 and 10 in 4th in an SC because you're up at 6200 in 3rd gear, you're ready for RA-1s. And then some.

Peter
Closer to 5800 in 3rd.....got some learning to do.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by david riley View Post
heal-n-toe,
just so u-no,
will let you go,
without going slow,
or let the engine get low...
boy-0
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

TD in DC

Quote:
I know. I am nearly 100% certain I asked EXACTLY the same question, and some of the guys with more experience replied the same way and wouldn't even answer me. It annoyed me because I wanted a general idea. Now I understand a little more.

The reason why nobody wants to answer that kind of question is that too many newbies (and I don't mean you -- my other post was actually teasing someone else around here ) drive by the numbers. Focus on being smooth. If you find that you are lugging, drive the corner next time in a lower gear. If you find that you are too close to redline, then take the corner the next time in a higher gear. All it takes is two laps to be into the swing of any track . . . and you need to make changes gradually, so one gear change per lap should be plenty sufficient unless you massively misjudge the speed you can carry through the corner!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
I know. I am nearly 100% certain I asked EXACTLY the same question, and some of the guys with more experience replied the same way and wouldn't even answer me. It annoyed me because I wanted a general idea. Now I understand a little more.

The reason why nobody wants to answer that kind of question is that too many newbies (and I don't mean you -- my other post was actually teasing someone else around here ) drive by the numbers. Focus on being smooth. If you find that you are lugging, drive the corner next time in a lower gear. If you find that you are too close to redline, then take the corner the next time in a higher gear. All it takes is two laps to be into the swing of any track . . . and you need to make changes gradually, so one gear change per lap should be plenty sufficient unless you massively misjudge the speed you can carry through the corner!
Thanks,
And yes you are reading my questions correctly,thanks. I'm trying to understand why I could not maintain grip through most of the track, which in turn made me select a higher gear. Those tires (yes I'm blaming the tires) would squall loudly all the way from the chute to T8 and on the verge of totally breaking loose. I really felt bad for the guy's behind me having to wait for me to get traction, and then give a point by because I couldn't carry reasonable speed through the corners. I was working hard to not pinch the corner exits and drift out to the rumble strips as much as possible as well. Thus my nOOb questions about tires and gear selection.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )

Last edited by tdatk; 10-22-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Thanks,
And yes you are reading my questions correctly,thanks. I'm trying to understand why I could not maintain grip through most of the track, which in turn made me select a higher gear. Those tires (yes I'm blaming the tires) would squall loudly all the way from the chute to T8 and on the verge of totally breaking loose. I really felt bad for the guy's behind me having to wait for me to get traction, and then give a point by because I couldn't carry reasonable speed through the corners. I was working hard to not pinch the apex and drift out to the rumble strips as much as possible as well. Thus my nOOb questions about tires and gear selection.
Some tires are 'noisier' then others -- were you actually having a problem with the rear braking loose, or were you mainly worried about it because of the noise?

The S-03 Pole Positions I used for several seasons would squeal like the victim of Kurt M.'s avatar all around that section of track, but they still hooked up pretty well despite the noise. The RA1s I have now also squeal a bit in that area of the track.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Some tires are 'noisier' then others -- were you actually having a problem with the rear braking loose, or were you mainly worried about it because of the noise?

The S-03 Pole Positions I used for several seasons would squeal like the victim of Kurt M.'s avatar all around that section of track, but they still hooked up pretty well despite the noise. The RA1s I have now also squeal a bit in that area of the track.
Hard to say really, without something else to compare with. They, In my opinion, were not hooking up well,but I did not spin.....although it was not far from a spin,I've done that. I'd describe it as like driving on old polyglass tires.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM

TD in DC

Quote:
I could not maintain grip through most of the track, which in turn made me select a higher gear.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. Sometimes lugging an engine will make it harder to plant weight in the rear of the car, which in turn could exacerbate the problems . . . You always want to be in the meat of the powerband. If you are too low, you cannot shift weight to the rear quickly enough because your engine will lug. If you are too high, then you cannot shift weight to the rear quickly enough because you will be too close to the redline . . .
Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. Sometimes lugging an engine will make it harder to plant weight in the rear of the car, which in turn could exacerbate the problems . . . You always want to be in the meat of the powerband. If you are too low, you cannot shift weight to the rear quickly enough because your engine will lug. If you are too high, then you cannot shift weight to the rear quickly enough because you will be too close to the redline . . .
Agreed....as I tried to feed more into the corners the car "felt" like it was getting loose. This is the only time in a porsche that I felt I had more to give as a driver than the car was willing to take.

I guess it's just annoying at this level to want to go faster and lack the knowlege to actually do that.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )

Last edited by tdatk; 10-22-2007 at 07:14 PM.