E46 fault codes 227, 228 and intake boot replacement - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » E46 fault codes 227, 228 and intake boot replacement

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
JazzBass,

I was confused by this a bit as I had boot and air leak problems which yielded 0171 and 0174. Also, I recently had issues with these codes which turned out to be a TPS problem. A quick search on e46fanatics shows the following:

P0226 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch C Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0227 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch C Circuit Low Input

P0228 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch C Circuit High Input

What I found out is that these cars have a Hall Effect TPS on the gas pedal and (one or two mechanical variable restor types on the MAF. More than likely the issue is the mechanical restor type. Having said that, does you car still have the throttle cable? Anyway something to check.
Yeah, so this is somewhat confusing. I think the issue here is difference between "BMW codes" and "std OBDII trouble codes". I'm not sure of the specifics of why there are two sets (other than to say "because BMW") or what all of the mappings are, but here's a good thread that does some mapping for the codes in question: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...28-202-and-203

Because I'm using the BT cable and not a generic OBDII reader, it's giving me the BMW specific codes. So my codes were BMW codes 227 and 228 (not P0227 and P0228), which map to std trouble codes P0171 and P0174 - the same codes you had with the cracked boot. I assume if I had used a generic OBDII reader I'd have gotten P0171 and P0174.
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Well that is clear as mud (or some other substance that looks like mud). These boots are a real pain. I understand there are after market single piece boots that are much better. The P0171 and P0174 codes can be hard to clear but if you have confirmed cracks in the boots - that's good. If you keep having problems, it could be on to the DISA, and CCVs - Both of which could be causing these issues. I have been know to drive mine with CEL on (as long as I know it is these codes) for awhile. I also had a smoke test done on mine and found induction leaks in places you not believe.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:10 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

By the way, I use a generic OBDII reader.