Instructing for DE and motion sickness issues - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Instructing for DE and motion sickness issues

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Mark Hubley
Default Instructing for DE and motion sickness issues

I am at a point where I can consider becoming an instructor for DE, but issues with motion sickness are holding me back. Maybe I can use more driving skills, too, but . . .

When I ride shotgun with someone on the track, I generally get out after four or five laps. I can do that without any problems. The last time I rode along for a full session I was very queasy by the end. It was a hot day, and I felt crappy the rest of the afternoon. So, while I am a teacher by profession, and I enjoy teaching, I have figured I will just never be a DE instructor.

I have never tried using any sort of anti-nausea medication (pills, patches, etc.) on a track day. About five years ago my wife and I did a day-long offshore fishing trip, and I used some sort of pill. I did not get nauseous, but it made me pretty sleepy. Over the years I have seen numerous people at DE events wearing the patches behind their ears, but I have not tried those.

Any advice???

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 11-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Chopper Dropper

Mark, other ways to volunteer and help with the DE program. Normally (fairly obviously) teachers make very good instructors similar attributes and communication is prime. Sickness can be prevented by patches and pills, I know a number of instructors use the patches, but don't know how "sick" they were to start (varying degrees) Certainly don't want to ruin your day or puke in the student's car even with a full face helmet. Not prone myself, but others may have better results. I know one recent new instructor has had to stop even with a patch unfortunately.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 11-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I'm one of those people who gets motion sickness fairly easy. But I have more motion sickness issues riding in a fast car with an advanced driver than I do driving with a Green or Blue Group student. SP Main is perfectly fine for me, but forget 'busy' tracks like Shenandoah. Temperature and air flow can contribute; nothing worse than being in long sleeves w/ helmet on in 90+ degF days and having to sit due to track delays, etc.

The worst I have had it was instructing at a teen driving clinic on a very small skid pad that was not wet down much. And it was hot that day. Those sessions were brutal.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Dandelion

I'm fighting it here. I've tried Bonine, no-doze Dramamine, and the scopolamine patch - none have really helped. Others have suggested the electrical stimulation bracelets, which I have not yet tried.

It's no fun once you're ill - it can take you out for the rest of the day and perhaps even the following day.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 11-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Sea sickness is why I had to stop Instructing. No issues at first then it started to get me at tight tracks then all tracks. Real late in my droving it started to get me while driving. All the drugs including the patch (with extended use) reduced my sharpness on track.

Before getting the track bug I was an off shore wreck diver, had to fight sea sickness every day so I came into track driving with some prior exp on anti motion sickness drugs. Funny thing is as soon as I hit the water I would feel 100% better. The patch went off the market and back on. Without the patch I used to hang out under the boat on the deco line toking on a top side mounted tank reading soggy paperbacks just to feel good enough to slam a sandwich. Then the patch came back on the market. Boom I was back in the cabin.
After going through all the over the counter methods and fine tuning the use of the patch the patch wins hands down but....It has to be used properly. Among other handing and use rules you HAVE to put on the night before.
Use more than one in back to back format for long term use can increase the side effects. This should bot be an issue for a DE weekend. I would use a full patch for day one two and three, remove that one and place 1/2 a patch. A full patch back to back caused slight but notable LSD like trails. Trippy and keeping on top of various diving gasses and computers does not mix well.

The wrist bands were only seen on n00b divers. We crusty old farts would point out that they in fact were useful for sea sickness. They gave you something to wipe your mouth with after puking yer guts out.

scop patch #1 distant #2 Dramamine.

1. 12 hour lead in.
2. Test it out for unwanted side effects before using it on track.
3. Try not to use them back to back.
4. Do not touch it and then touch your eyes!
5. If it works try 1/2 a patch.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 11-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM

RV4Flyer

Bob Hoover was the greatest pilot that ever lived, he is the pilots pilot. He taught himself how to fly aerobatics as a young teenager and suffered terrible motion sickness. Because of that he perfected the aerobatic maneuvers to be as smooth as possible plus the constant flying helped him acclimate his body. He was a colorful figure with great stories including this one from the 3:23 mark on this video

I suffer really bad motion sickness and have had to deal with it a few times with students especially those with jerky feet and hands. What helps is spending some training effort on getting the student to smooth things out which they need to learn anyway. Also, the more right seat time you have the better.

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:12 AM

Modian

I get motion sick on boats in the ocean, or when reading a book in a car, but haven’t in the right seat yet. Looking into it long ago, I read that motion sickness could be caused by the body/inner ear feeling you moving around but the eyes not sensing it (due to looking in the car or close by at static objects).

So, like when driving, I work on keeping my eyes up looking far up the track, constantly scanning, and watching the student in my peripheral vision, or only glancing at him/her. Maybe it’s placebo effect, but it’s worked for me so far, even with a really jerky student or riding with Robby

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 11-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Hunter

Thanks Mike I just watched the whole video!

2023 Audi Q7 Daily Driver
Considering next Porsche
1990 964, Red, Number 692 (Misty) sold
2010 Trailex (Dusty) sold
2003 996, (Speedy) Grey sold

Life is short; just drive....... (boat, bike, etc.)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:18 PM

trytryagain

I also had a lot of seasickness issues as a scuba diver, until my doctor recommended a prescription drug that worked like a magic bullet for me. The drug is phenergan, which is used for patients coming out of surgery to avoid nausea after anesthesia. Some people reportedly do have side effects (drowsiness) but I never had any problem. It’s a cheap little pill, unlike the scopalomine patches, which were $$$ and tended to come off underwater.

So far with DE instructing motion sickness has not been an issue, so I can’t update whether phenergan would be suitable for track usage. Might be worth a consult with your doctor though if motion sickness is really holding you back.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 11-27-2019, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
I'm one of those people who gets motion sickness fairly easy. But I have more motion sickness issues riding in a fast car with an advanced driver than I do driving with a Green or Blue Group student. SP Main is perfectly fine for me, but forget 'busy' tracks like Shenandoah. Temperature and air flow can contribute; nothing worse than being in long sleeves w/ helmet on in 90+ degF days and having to sit due to track delays, etc.
This is me as well, almost verbatim. I instructed once at Shen and said never again. Hell, I once made myself car sick on the Shen. For me, air flow and the scopolomine patches do the trick.
1999 E46 328i