Contractor Needed - Structual Work - MoCo - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » Contractor Needed - Structual Work - MoCo

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 AM

frogers911
Default Contractor Needed - Structual Work - MoCo

I am having some difficulty finding a (sub)contractor willing to work with me to extend my roof and add a partial structure to support. Partial structure will be the framework of an enclosed deck.

I will acting as the GC for the job and am knowledgeable of construction methods and costs associated with them. I simply don't have the time to complete this job and want to sub out this portion, along with getting a new roof installed for the entire house.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also anyone on the board capable of doing the work I'd be willing to trade my 98 m3/4/5 for some labor. I will have drawings completed, stamped, and permits pulled.

Frank
82' SC - Sold
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Might want to clarify -- is this all wood? (and concrete bases at the columns?)

If joust wood, might want to surf CraigsList for people who build decks or do carpentry to handle the framing.

And might need to find a separate person/ company to do the roofing.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 PM

frogers911

The structure supporting the roof will be a wood 2 story deck, so concrete footers will be needed. The roof and supporting beams will be wood. Here are a few basic drawings - I am working to get some detailed drawings completed.
Attached Images

82' SC - Sold
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

The roof framing is going to be interesting. I doubt you will be able to simply 'extend' the roofs; you may need rebuild from the eaves up to the new ridge. Also seems like a bit more snow load is going to be carried by the beams/ framing at the existing eaves.

Once you have things fleshed out a little more I may have a name or two, but what I see has me thinking the framers will probably want a GC or similar handing things like dealing with demo debris, patching/ restoring interior and exterior finishes, keep the interior as dry as possible during the work, etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM

frogers911

There are more details I did not include, also the drawing is not to scale. I have a couple of estimates, both recommended extending the roof as the best option to covering the deck. Obviously nothing is certain until I get real drawing done and a structural engineer to take a look.

I am not against hiring a GC either, just need to find one willing to work with me on doing a partial job.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
The roof framing is going to be interesting. I doubt you will be able to simply 'extend' the roofs; you may need rebuild from the eaves up to the new ridge. Also seems like a bit more snow load is going to be carried by the beams/ framing at the existing eaves.

Once you have things fleshed out a little more I may have a name or two, but what I see has me thinking the framers will probably want a GC or similar handing things like dealing with demo debris, patching/ restoring interior and exterior finishes, keep the interior as dry as possible during the work, etc.
82' SC - Sold
Old 08-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

No problem. I suspect the roof framing issue is more complex then you may have hoped. Most roof structures don't have a lot of excess capacity -- they are usually designed pretty close to 'just enough' for the wind, snow and wind loads plus required safety factors.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Too Tall

Highly recommend Mark Amero. His a golfing pal of a friend. Mark gutted and re-did our kitchen as well as several neighbors who liked ours.
I have seen some impressive major construction he has done. Should be able to do this for you.
Mark Amero <mark3252@gmail.com> 202 9999515
Say I sent you.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM

William Miller
Default Home Project

PM me!
I'm not really clear on what your doing, but we can work it out.
I have a friend who is also a great Architect that is great at these types of projects and the details.

Check out my Facebook
Miller Residential Services
'08 335i Blue Sedan
'05 Chevy Tahoe green
'98 Jeep Cherokee XJ "Blue"
'01 Toyota 4 Runner "Pearl"

Darnestown, Maryland