HMS in car communicator - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » HMS in car communicator

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 AM

SJK

Nader,

I'd be in for the trac-com plus the instructor helmet package. Thanks for doing this.

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
Just to close the loop, below is what I got back from HMS. A minimum of 10 units are needed for a 10% discount. If based on below, you are definitely in, let me know what you want.

if you do 10 trac-coms, they would be 10%.
If you only do say, 8 trac-coms but 5 or more cables/headsets, I can do 5% on them and the trac-com would be full price.
However, if you do 10 or more Trac-coms and 5 or more cables/headsets, it would be 10% off the entire purchase at that point.
'02 Boxster S (gone to a good home)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM

N Fotouhi

The price ranges from about $244-319 depending on whether you already have a helmet kit/Stilo helmet or need to buy the instructor helmet kit as well as the adapter.

Based on the discount, saving is around $24-30. Not sure what they charge for shipping. Frankly, considering the savings, I am not sure a group buy is worth it to me.

However, if there are 8 people who want one, let me know by the weekend you are committed (i.e., show me the money) and what you want. I have to place one order which means that I have to have everything shipped to me. I will bring it to you at one of the following, the volunteer dinner, Instructor refresher, or the first DE of the year.

There are 3 sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth.

91 944 S2 - Mine, Sold
7? 914-6 Vintage racer - Mine
93 964 - Not mine
95 993 - Hers - Sold and will be missed
04 GT3 - ours? Doing double duties at DE, anyway
06 987 - Hers - plan to let son use for DE - My DIY
A few others
Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Lara

Nader/Others,
Have you been using the Trac-Com? Is it worth the extra money v. chatterbox? I bought a Roux helmet with the built-in microphone and audio, and it's rarely working with chatterboxes. I am thinking of doubling down by buying my own communicator, so I know the connections will work.
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)
Old 06-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Jabs1542

You will want to test it first. Several of our instructors have Trac Com.

What we discovered with our test using my Chatterbox was that the amp didn’t have enough output to push the volume from your microphone (I think you said the earphones were plenty loud on your end). You will want/need a system with plenty of power to ensure volume at high speed (when it gets noisy outside).

2013 C2S

Racecars are like strippers, we just keep throwing money at them hoping someday they give us the ride of our lives…
Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Modian

I had to quit using my chatterbox last weekend and go to hand signals. It worked fine and maybe was a one off because of the speed at WG, but I’d still like something better.

I was talking to Dan about it and he recommended trak com or speed com. Is this one any better or just different/still better than CB?

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 06-21-2019, 09:04 AM

N Fotouhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Nader/Others,
Have you been using the Trac-Com? Is it worth the extra money v. chatterbox? I bought a Roux helmet with the built-in microphone and audio, and it's rarely working with chatterboxes. I am thinking of doubling down by buying my own communicator, so I know the connections will work.
I never got any interest and did not pursue the group buy. There were also several threads on Rennlist about various options. I think Trac-Com's short coming was that some people had trouble with the volume, but miles better than Chatterbox. Tony P bought the Speedcom from Og. It has a separate volume for driver and instructor, and works well, but it is bulky.

Call Sloan and tell him you ask me about communicators, and my reply was to tell Sloan to shake his @$$.

He had some prototypes that Carolyn and I, as well as a few others tried at Shenandoah. I really liked the quality of sound and the size, so I am holding off for his production version. The only thing I did not like (which is actually a good part of the system), is that unlike Chatterbox which constantly screams in my ear with wind noise feedback, there was no feedback even at speed speed, so I kept asking can you hear me to make sure it is working. It was.
Bottom line, there is nothing perfect, but Carolyn and I both liked what Sloan had and will plan to buy one, so tell Sloan to shake his @SS, but don't sell ours to you

There are 3 sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth.

91 944 S2 - Mine, Sold
7? 914-6 Vintage racer - Mine
93 964 - Not mine
95 993 - Hers - Sold and will be missed
04 GT3 - ours? Doing double duties at DE, anyway
06 987 - Hers - plan to let son use for DE - My DIY
A few others
Old 06-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
Call Sloan and tell him you ask me about communicators, and my reply was to tell Sloan to shake his @$$.
He's probably been too busy upgrading and fixing my Caymans! He did show me his prototype, but I didn't realize it was in testing phase. Glad to hear it works well. Hmm.
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)