Dorkiphus.net - View Single Post - '71 914-6 Restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Cairo94507 has one HoF thread
Hall of Fame '71 914-6 Restoration

Hi Everyone,

New here, but thought I would post a couple pictures of my 914-6 restoration. I bought my car in February of '10 and decided it needed a full restoration. I was looking to make it a hair less than a concours car, I wanted to be able to drive it around town and enjoy it. Not a trailer queen. However, from day 1, I always wanted the chassis to be restored to factory specs so the car had a perfect "foundation" to build upon. I wanted to find a turn-key shop to handle the project.

I am a regular over on 914World.com and several members recommended a shop in Charles City, VA.

That shop began great, disassembling the car and stripping it to bare metal. The whole project was estimated to be 18-24 months and he appeared to be on track at the pace he was going.

Not really sure what happened, owner said he injured his back and was unable to work and in a lot of pain for quite some time.

Regardless, after 61 months of broken promises and excuses, I picked my car up, in pieces, and took it to a shop in Torrance, CA.

I am posting those comments, barely a scratch on the surface, to hopefully save another collector car owner/member from the same. We all work hard to support our hobby and when someone fails to deliver as promised it is not fun.

The CA shop has over 300 hours in to correct almost all of the work done in VA, to restore my chassis to factory specs. After almost 11 months, the chassis is now perfect and ready for paint. Here is a link to my Thread on 914World.com if you want to see some pictures.

This is Part 1, my car arriving at the VA shop up through my picking it up 61 months later: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188776

Here is Part 2, my car arriving at the CA shop and all of the VA work being corrected. Part2: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=313869

Here is my car before it left for the VA shop.

Name:  CIMG0144.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  148.6 KB

Here it is arriving in VA:
Attached Images

Last edited by Cairo94507; 04-24-2020 at 01:45 PM.