Dorkiphus.net - View Single Post - Porsche 968 Race Car and Trailer for Sale
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:38 PM

RS4Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
This is a nice car and certainly can't be built for the asking price. A great car/package for someone who wants to get into racing with PCA SP3.
Thanks Steve. I've had other inquiries about SP3 and lap times, so I'll add some info here for reference.

My lap times during races and qualifying from 2016 NASA GTS2 Season are still documented on Speedhive, and results are still up on the NASA Mid Atlantic website (GTS2 rules have changed, so not worth comparing those times to current times). I've made no changes to the car since 2016 and have only done a few DE/Testing weekends since (I know, it's pitiful). All of my runs were obviously in GTS2 trim for 2016, which means 135lbs of ballast, full gas tank, passenger seat, and huge deep cycle battery to get post race weight to 3080lbs.

I'm no SP3 expert, but my understanding is that no major changes would be required to transition to SP3 racing. You can drop the extra weight and easily add headers and re-tune for well past 220whp SP3 (or go even further with additional modifications), so the car should be easily made faster for SP3.

Recorded official lap times in the 2:11s at VIR during race/qualifying, with a personal best in the high 2:10's during testing.

Recorded official lap times in the 1:22's at Summit Main, and a personal best during testing in the 1:21's. I am certainly no pro, so take these times with a grain of salt...a LOT left in it.

If you compare these times with what you'll see in SP3 racing, I think you'll find the car is already setup quite well to at least be competitive....especially taking into consideration the weight and power changes you can easily make.

I do plan on doing a TT at Summit Point on the weekend of Oct 31st with NASA. If anyone would like to see the car in action, that may be a good spot to do it. I have AIM data as well if anyone wants to get that serious.

Last edited by RS4Ship; 09-23-2020 at 12:13 PM.