Dorkiphus.net - View Single Post - Consignment dealer in the DC/Baltimore area?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael lang View Post
John, I’m very sorry for the loss of your friend and to his family.

Being a service advisor at the same Mercedes Benz dealer here in Washington for the last 21 years I have many clients that I have built relationships with that have come to me with similar situations. It’s heart breaking to hear that someone that I have worked with so closely for so many years is no longer around and their spouse/kids/other relatives don’t know what to do with the deceased cars. Depending on the family situation, Kurt’s recommendation of taking the car to a Porsche dealer and having the appraisal performed will be the quickest way to allow the family to move on to the next car, next possession, next step in the process they are going through. I will tell you that negotiation will be little if any as you have to remember a PreOwned dept manager will be looking strictly at the numbers and will have little concern at that point how well the car was taken care of, what upgrades have been performed, etc... It’s only a numbers game and just another car as far as he’s concerned. The family would strictly be using that route as a matter of convenience. BaT is a good option if the family is wanting to get the true retail value for the car but, if you’ve never gone through the process I warn you it’s a huge amount of work to write the BaT listing and a lot of back and forth between the writers and the seller before the posting is actually listed. I sold a car on BaT, it took three weeks to get the listing posted, a week for the ad and then it was another two weeks to actually get the car sold because the winning bidder tried to renegotiate the terms after the sale was completed. BaT arbitrators stepped in and dealt with it but it was just an overall pain in the ass dealing with it. So much so that you’d wished that you just went the easy route.

You’ll get a lot of great suggestions here but the bottom line is you and this person’s family & his other friends have lost someone very dear to them and that’s way more important than messing around with some stupid car.
This is very good advice if the car is a low mileage unmodified car. Otherwise the dealership will not give you as much for an enthusiast spec car. I’ve traded a few cars so just be prepared if the car has a history of tracking it’s not worth the time and trouble.

Much better option would be to post the car here in hope of finding a fellow track junkie.

Again sorry for your loss.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two