Dorkiphus.net - View Single Post - Video cam recommendations for the track
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
I’ve been down this path using Track Attack because HLT didn’t support external cameras and OBD readers at the time. Here’s what I learned:
1) Get a GoPro that has WiFi (required) and the touchscreen on the back (highly recommended), also get the skeleton case to keep it cool. Be careful to setup your GoPro carefully as it will create a WiFi network that your cell phone will need to connect to.
2) You will want to provide power to the GoPro (it will consume 2+ batteries in a day). This means you will need to rig a 12:5 volt adaptor to a switched power source and run wires.
3) You should also look at an OBD reader, it will connect to the phone through BlueTooth.
4) You should also look at an external GPS,it will also connect through BlueTooth and will be MUCH more accurate than your phone.

Now the warnings:
a) Getting all of this to work is a PITA and doesn’t always work correctly.I had a big off at VIR that didn’t get captured because of this. You will need to start your sessions extra early in order to get this symphony of components to work.
b) I will be presenting a data class (White Classroom) showing the differences between ‘hobby data’ (a.k.a. cell phones) and serious data (i.e. VBox and Aim). I will cover processing speed and frame rates, and how you can use each tool effectively (tip, there is a HUGE accuracy versus precision issue going on here).

enjoy
I've been using ApexPro and GoPro. Importing to TrackAttack with auto video synchronization is very easy. I've started to tinker with RaceStudio and math channels to get Gsum but not there yet. ApexPro doesn't output Gsum but believe that the Apex% is comparable. On my MacBook Pro I can visualize 4 laps in synchrony. However, I'm not sure how to add engine channels to TrackAttack. I'm currently using GoPoint OBDII dongle. Any advice and look forward to the next class. Joe