Dorkiphus.net - View Single Post - you know what makes our hobby look cheap?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

Quote:
Cool, looks like fun. Of course, I looked at the bottom line.
Don't He spent about 2K alone on iron (transformers) on this second iteration. There are plenty of GOOD sounding hifi value transfomers out there. In his first project he used Hammond brand chokes and output transformers. These are very budget (some say experimental grade) transformers. Hence his want to 'do it better next time'. I suspect my iron costs are going to be about $600 (currently not in the budget).

Quote:
How long does it take to warm up?
Don't know exactly. The signal and output tubes are directly heated AC. So their fillaments are get warm almost immediately after power is switched on. The rectifier tube on the other hand (which supplies high DC voltage to the above tubes) is indirectly heated and wont put out full volatage until it gets warm. So the signal and output tubes wait for the rectifier to wake up (get warm)....I dunno, well see.

Break-in is another story. If all parts are sourced new, it will take time to fully break in the amp. Tubes are considered broken in after 100 hours or so. Capacitors also require a break in period. Some capacitors actually default back to their 'new status' if not used frequently, and require the break in process to happen again before sounding good again.