Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Track Talk (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NO HPDC season opener??????? (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=40983)

Goggles Paesano 01-28-2021 07:49 PM

NO HPDC season opener???????

I know this isnt the PCAP site, but I'm sure I will get a good answer here. Without the HPDC on the early schedule, will New drivers be admitted to DE's this year?
I have at least two people READY to sign up, but my recent (last few years) understanding was the HPDC was a mandatory steeping stone to get on the track if you have little to no experience.
(One guy has run laps at Nurburgring, and the other did some dirt track stuff - wondering if they should try to sign up for the March DE or if they have to wait until the fall clinic).
Denis

BlackTalon 01-28-2021 08:58 PM

I can't imagine they will change the requirements for participating in DE.

Covid is not done fuching things up yet.

mlytle 01-28-2021 10:45 PM

Newbies are welcome at SCCA HPDE events. We usually have a few never evers at each event.

Chopper Dropper 01-29-2021 10:05 AM

Unfortunately Covid19 restrictions limit both in car instruction and numbers in classroom so would not be able to take our usual full numbers putting to high a financial burden on either the club or participants. Yes the requirement for some experience, either a number (3 or 4) with AutoXs with recommendation or equivalent experience on track with another club.
Dirk

mlytle 01-29-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlytle (Post 645564)
Newbies are welcome at SCCA HPDE events. We usually have a few never evers at each event.

I should add that we are doing incar instruction for novices (with covid precautions of course.) incar or lead follow instruction is available for limited intermediate students.

classes are being held, outside, for all groups.

first event is march 6-7 on summit main.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...it-scca-225198

Goggles Paesano 01-30-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlytle (Post 645619)
I should add that we are doing incar instruction for novices (with covid precautions of course.) incar or lead follow instruction is available for limited intermediate students.

classes are being held, outside, for all groups.

first event is march 6-7 on summit main.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...it-scca-225198

One of the two signed up last night. Already on the wait list.

Dr K 01-31-2021 11:36 AM

In car instruction will be much more achievable this year with many getting vaccinated (I received my 2nd dose last week). UNLESS there is another new, more virulent variant not covered by the vaccine... Really missed driving/instructing with PCA last year!

mlytle 02-01-2021 02:35 PM

in order to do incar with scca we set up some limits
-both student and instructor must be willing to do it
-instructors/students may only be "incar" with that one other person all day.
-windows down at all times (not just on track)
-masks worn under helmets
-communicator headset stays with student all day
- microphone "condoms" are used
-instructors must clean the comms headsets between days.

vaccines will certainly make things better over the course of the season this year.

Chopper Dropper 02-01-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlytle (Post 645702)
in order to do incar with scca we set up some limits
-both student and instructor must be willing to do it
-instructors/students may only be "incar" with that one other person all day.
-windows down at all times (not just on track)
-masks worn under helmets
-communicator headset stays with student all day
- microphone "condoms" are used
-instructors must clean the comms headsets between days.

vaccines will certainly make things better over the course of the season this year.

Very similar to PCA Potomac Requirements, historically we have usually had 1 student per Instructor and struggle to get enough instructors with usually couple doubling up. Classroom size was another problem as needing screens and overheads etc. can't do it outside. Hoping with vaccinations becoming more accessible will get back to "normal" sometime this year!! We did rule full face close helmets on before entering car and on till exit and back to masks.
Dirk

mlytle 02-01-2021 05:23 PM

we did without the screens and held all classes outside. took a lesson from kids and got some BIG pieces of colored chalk and used the concrete pads outside classrooms to draw pictures on....:-)

we also started online video classes the wed night before the events for all students. this allowed for all the basic material to be covered before the event and some solid Q&A ahead of the game. this was split into two classes. one for novices and one for int/adv.

this year we sprung for some big white boards with the track map on them for use in the classes. one for each track.

getting back inside will be much better, but gotta make do with what we have for now.