Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Tools Needed/For Loan (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Needed: Fender Roller (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=39253)

1970911 11-05-2018 11:50 AM

Needed: Fender Roller

Hi all,
George D. here if you know me from around the track. It appears I will be in need of a fender roller at some point in the future. Just curious if anyone near me has one. If I could come by and use it for a day that would be so great! If nobody does, I could just buy one on Amazon but I wanted to post here first.
Thanks for any help,
George

GT3 11-05-2018 02:31 PM

Baseball bat or jack handle

Chopper Dropper 11-05-2018 02:45 PM

Heat gun for a bit of heat and baseball bat gently.
Dirk

mlytle 11-05-2018 05:54 PM

I keep a baseball bat in the race trailer for emergency alterations, but...a real fender roller is SOOOOO much better and more discriminating than a bat. heat gun to get paint to 160deg, then gentle application with the roller.

i have Eastwood one, and a lift, if you don't find one closer than alexandria.

they are pretty cheap to buy.

1970911 11-06-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlytle (Post 614029)
I keep a baseball bat in the race trailer for emergency alterations, but...a real fender roller is SOOOOO much better and more discriminating than a bat. heat gun to get paint to 160deg, then gentle application with the roller.

i have Eastwood one, and a lift, if you don't find one closer than alexandria.

they are pretty cheap to buy.
https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Eastwood-.../dp/B001D4CGO0

Thats what I've heard. We have always used a bat on the green car and it works, but its a little more tedious to do it right I reckon.
Thanks!

Vicegrip 11-06-2018 02:52 PM

2 inch white pvc pipe works way better. Jack the car up and down to control the gap between the wheel and lip and angles as you walk the angle in. Clean the lip up inside and out to remove dirt and grit. Spray a light coat of silicone on the pvc to reduce friction.

I find this works better that the east wood roller. You have better ability to tune the angle throughout the well

Patrick3000 11-06-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970911 (Post 614013)
Hi all,
George D. here if you know me from around the track. It appears I will be in need of a fender roller at some point in the future. Just curious if anyone near me has one. If I could come by and use it for a day that would be so great! If nobody does, I could just buy one on Amazon but I wanted to post here first.
Thanks for any help,
George

George,

Is this for the M3 with that beautiful blue paint job? If so please post a picture or two.

Thanks,

1970911 11-07-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicegrip (Post 614107)
2 inch white pvc pipe works way better. Jack the car up and down to control the gap between the wheel and lip and angles as you walk the angle in. Clean the lip up inside and out to remove dirt and grit. Spray a light coat of silicone on the pvc to reduce friction.

I find this works better that the east wood roller. You have better ability to tune the angle throughout the well

Thanks Kurt,
I will give this method a shot. Sounds pretty well thought out.
George

1970911 11-07-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick3000 (Post 614117)
George,

Is this for the M3 with that beautiful blue paint job? If so please post a picture or two.

Thanks,

Hi Karl,
Thank you sir and that it is. I surprisingly don't have any real pictures... yet. I will get some photos up as soon as I am home for thanksgiving break.
George

mlytle 11-07-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970911 (Post 614135)
Thanks Kurt,
I will give this method a shot. Sounds pretty well thought out.
George

every artist likes their own brush, but...

be very careful using a pvc pipe. pvc is hard. paint is not. you will easily crack the paint if you don't keep it at the right temperature and keep the pressure light.

this is why i like the real fender rollers better. far more precise with the angle of roll and pressure, plus the actual roller is polyurethane which is softer on the paint.

critical in all cases (if you care what the paint on the car looks like) is keeping the paint temp up in the 160-180 range both inside and outside of the fender. heat gun and IR temp gauge need to be in constant use.