Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Porsche Technical Discussions (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Adding lightness from the ground up (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=11702)

Vicegrip 11-13-2006 11:26 PM

Adding lightness from the ground up

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by david riley
:? Any chance this is going to be seen by someone who can help? :p Links to your RennList posts showing the ’77 tub after the “treatment.” Or was it somewhere else :oops:
yeah, that's another one

Hereyagobuddy. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...eferrerid=4104

Todd you said I was going to go to hell if I cut the 77 up. Well, where you staying when you get there? Is there a barresters wing? If so is it near the shyster shoddy mechanics building? I'll bring the ice...first I toasted it now I added the cheese, Swiss cheese :twisted:

Almost done cutting. Found that carving the metal away with the Plasma cutter and then going after the spot welds is the easy way. I wil go over everything after the cutting and spot weld drilling is done and clean things up. If you do it right there is no sign left that something was there and Porsche loved to spot weld little brackets and bendy hold down tabs everywhere. Then the top side seam welding is next and then its time to break out the tubing bender and gain all the weight back and then some.

The sunroof/roof complex, even after all the removable parts are gone, is HEAVY! without question the heaviest single part removed. Rear fenders weigh nothing. I have a big can and pile of scrap tin that I will weigh after the cuting is done.
I have had some requests to start a ongoinng thread on this build and plan to pick the Rennlist brain now and then. Rather than poping in with funnyfotos now and then should I start a local thread? Worth the time or is it just boring "look at me" stuff? Was not planning to but keep getting Hows the build going?

Attachment 3153

Attachment 3154

KevinOyler 11-14-2006 08:21 AM

I would appreciate seeing regular updates, Kurt. A rare project for the DIY crowd. Professionals probably see it all the time, but not us amateur guys. Where did you get the specs for the front towers attachment boxing work? What's your reference point for the angles?

Jase007 11-14-2006 08:38 AM

You got my vote for a "adding lightness from the ground up" thread here on d-fus. :)

Might not be of interest to the concours or w(h)ine & cheese crowd but most here are track rats ... as you know ... and would be interested and possibly have suggestions ... if you were open to them ;) :)

Would certainly NOT be viewed as a "hey look at me" thread by this racer.

BlackTalon 11-14-2006 08:45 AM

Agree w/ Kevin and Jason -- please keep us updated here at Dorkiphus :-)

Vicegrip 11-14-2006 08:57 AM

Jase, I will ask the powers that be to move this to another thread and go from there. I allways look for insght and tips and think of them as help in the best way. Smart man learns from his mistakes wise man learns from the mistakes made by others. A dumbass like me fakes it to look like the wise guy. There are already about 5 big and 20 small things that I will do dif the next time.

Kevin. I read the instructions and looked at the purty pictures that came with the premade towers. Next time I will just purchase the camber plates and make my own towers. 11 deg lean in towards center 6 deg rake back front to back. I used the original 3 holes where the old struts bolted in and went from there. Measured using a good magnetic protractor and tape from the front to the bolts as I went. The tub was set dead level so angles were set from earth as a ref point. Marked and cut a little small and feathered to fit with a 40 grit blending wheel. One has a little bit of runout but is well in the range of the camber plates that go on top. Am all pissed about it but also expect to set the front susp once make my marks and never think of it again.

}{arlequin 11-14-2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase007
Would certainly NOT be viewed as a "hey look at me" thread by this racer.

just don't put a "914" in the title otherwise no one will view it :D

Jazzbass 11-14-2006 10:22 AM

*Poof* New thread. Keep up updates, Kurt, this looks like a great project to watch.

William Miller 11-14-2006 10:28 AM

DITTO! KEEP EM COMMING! :)
What's the plan for the front corners?

wludavid 11-14-2006 10:59 AM

werd. subscribed. I may have to come by the Taj to gawk sometime soon.

Vicegrip 11-14-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Miller
DITTO! KEEP EM COMMING! :)
What's the plan for the front corners?

that is where the impact bumper brackets were and also the battery box on the drivers side. Both holes will be cleaned and squared up and have sheet metal welded in. In the back the impact bumper mounts were more immeshed in the cars framework and rather than cut them out I carved them off and left the other metal behind. All the front and rear mounts did was hold up now nonexistent bumpers. Good chunk of weight removed. Those and the roof were the easy weight offs. FG and suspension bits are now in hand. (Thanks for moving the thread Chris)