Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Discussions (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Tire question: Patch or replace (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=40248)

BeerBurner 01-18-2020 05:00 PM

Tire question: Patch or replace

2 Attachment(s)
I'm getting new winter tires mounted on my wife's BMW and was thinking of having them patch the nail in one of her summer tires. The problem is that the nail is pretty close to the shoulder and I don't know if it's something that can be fixed or not.

It's about 1 cm from the edge and lines up with the tread cuts. After pulling the nail out a bit, it also angles slightly towards the sidewall which doesn't help.

While I don't want to buy two new tires (they have two seasons on them so I want to keep things balanced), I also don't want to take chances with my wife's car.

So... can this safely be fixed or should I plan on buying new tires?

Thanks,
BB.

HoodPin 01-18-2020 05:05 PM

I just repaired a trailer tire with a DIY plug in a similar spot, and so far its holding air. I wouldn't recommend for track duty, but if it doesn't start leaking immediately, I think a plug would be fine for street driving. Alternatively, you can also check with a tire shop to see if they're willing to install a T-plug from inside the tire.

BeerBurner 01-18-2020 05:10 PM

It definitely won't be driven hard and will only be stressed if somebody does something that makes my wife have to avoid things (which occasionally happens in this area).

Were it my car, I'd likely patch it and see what happens. It's harder for me to take that approach when it's my wife's car. ;)

BB.

Chopper Dropper 01-18-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBurner (Post 630536)
It definitely won't be driven hard and will only be stressed if somebody does something that makes my wife have to avoid things (which occasionally happens in this area).

Were it my car, I'd likely patch it and see what happens. It's harder for me to take that approach when it's my wife's car. ;)

BB.

Take it to Paul at Radial, if he patches from the inside and deems safe, I would not worry.
Dirk

cmartin 01-18-2020 08:41 PM

I plug those assuming its just a nail. Keep an eye on pressure.

Vicegrip 01-19-2020 08:07 AM

Have never had a plugged tire do anything but wear out normally. This includes a tire I plugged with a strip of T shirt buttered with liquid nails and shoved in with a flathead screwdriver.

Saw a very old tire that had been plugged have a steel belt failure that cause a bump. And by old it was 18 years old and hard as a rock.

I butter the plug up with lots of rubber cement to help seal the tire inside and out.

HoodPin 01-19-2020 10:19 AM

Thanks VG. I like the idea of rubber cement added to the plug.

The only time I couldn't patch a tire on the tread was on a friend's trailer tire. However, when the air was out of the tire, it was probably the softest/flimsiest tire I've ever encountered. Plug would go in WAY too easily, and it never held air. As I recall, we ended buying another tire.

FWIW, especially with trailer tires, err on the side of too good a tire, versus cheap price.

BeerBurner 01-19-2020 10:20 AM

Thanks for the responses!

The place I took the car to this morning won't touch the tire.

I don't mind trying the plug if the only risk is that it continues to leak. I just don't want to risk any kind of sudden blow out and this sort of thing is just enough outside my wheelhouse that I really don't know what the risks are.

I wouldn't be as concerned if it was on my car, but it's my wife's car, so... ;)

BB.

HoodPin 01-19-2020 10:34 AM

I picked up an earlier version of this BlackJack kit maaany years ago.....and I'm still using it today. Repaired a bunch of tires with it. The included tools make the job easier. Except for the one instance mentioned above, I've had leak free results. Of course, only works on the tread; sidewall punctures are not repairable.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackjack-KT-...a-546823798967

BlackTalon 01-19-2020 10:39 AM

Pick up a $5.00 plug kit at the local auto parts shop and plug it yourself. Shops have to worry about liability, and often err far, far, far on the side of conservative.

This would not be something that would fail catastrophically. Air would leak out slowly if there was an issue. A catastrophic failure would only happen if the air went down and driving continued. And it's been driven for quite a while with this nail in it, whci would be more likely to result in a spectacular failure than a plug.

BTW, do you know if the nail even goes all the way through?