Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Track Talk (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Rolex 24 at Daytona (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=31687)

Roo 01-11-2014 11:04 AM

Rolex 24 at Daytona

A couple of us and our better halves are heading down to Daytona for the races Jan 24-26.
Anyone else headed down?

JohnI 01-13-2014 10:26 AM

My wife and I made a last minute decision to make the trip too. Leaving on Thursday to make a casual drive down. It's our first time to the race, and really looking forward to it (me more than my wife). Any tips on what to be sure to do/not do

Nerfbar 01-13-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnI (Post 469560)
My wife and I made a last minute decision to make the trip too. Leaving on Thursday to make a casual drive down. It's our first time to the race, and really looking forward to it (me more than my wife). Any tips on what to be sure to do/not do

Here's a tip. Take warm clothes. It can get damn cold at night.

Manny Alban 01-13-2014 07:16 PM

-Stop by the PCA Tent in the infield. It's located next to the kink. Can't miss it. Over 200 Porsches parked there. Usually free snacks and drinks as well as closed circuit tv coverage and lots of chairs.
-Plan on coming back to the track after dinner or even later. Great to watch teams scrambling to fix a car in the garage and get back out to the race.
-An hour before the race, they open pit lane to everyone. It's jam packed but you get to see all the cars and drivers. Great photo ops since the teams usually take their team photos at that time.
-It's a climb, but get up to the Winston Tower (center grand stand). You can see the entire track.

Roo 01-13-2014 10:02 PM

Great the great tips Manny! We're getting the full four day pass to everything, so I assume that includes the Winston Tower?
Thanks for the info on the PCA Tent - I tried to find out about that online, but, I must have looked at the wrong areas on the PCA site. Is that a good place to leave a daypack for a short time? We didn't get our tickets in time to get infield parking...
Pit lane before the races was always a highlight of the ALMS races.

John,

This is our first time at Daytona as well. We've been to other races and we haven't had any surprises. Since we'll be parked outside the track, I'm bringing my daypack to carry necessities for me and Lisa. Most important, bring your favorite walking shoes/sneakers. You may walk more than you imagined...

My daypack contents:
Hat
Light jacket (windbreaker)
Sweatshirt
Sunglasses
Chapstick
Bandaids
Bottled water
Snacks
Camera
Small binoculars
Sunscreen
Extra pair of socks

I'm also packing rain gear and shorts (wishful thinking....).

It'd be great to meet you there, maybe at the PCA tent. My cell is 757-650-4347.

Cheers, Chip Taylor

HoodPin 01-14-2014 07:14 AM

Have fun Chip! Daytona 24 is on my bucket list...but sadly not this year.

Potomac-Greg 01-14-2014 07:17 AM

This is a great year to go, with the blend of ALMS and Grand Am cars. Some day I'll get there!

JohnI 01-14-2014 09:25 AM

Thanks for the directions to the PCA tent, Manny. Will you be there?

Hi Chip,
We will just be there Saturday and Sunday, planning to arrive early enough on Saturday to get to watch a lot of the preparation. We also missed out on the infield parking so we'll be packing all the necessities. 'hope we can meet at the PCA tent as you suggested. My cell is 703.597.3115. I'll try texting or calling Saturday mid day.
Hope to see you at the races.
John Moore

Manny Alban 01-14-2014 10:30 AM

Yup, I'll be there, so will Vu, as well as about 400 of your closest PCA friends. Hopefully the weather is nice. It's a great place to hang out, watch the racing, and talk Porsche. Almost like a cars and coffee that goes on all day. Get to the tent early to get a schedule. They will have some of the Porsche teams stop by to talk about the race and answer questions. Last year we had the entire Porsche Motorsports hierarchy there.

tdatk 01-14-2014 10:51 AM

I'll be making the trek over there Sat-Sun with the wife and youngest. Plan to stop in the PCA tent too, hope to see you there.