Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Other Technical Discussions (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   New tool thread (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=35874)

Jazzbass 02-23-2016 04:07 PM

New tool thread

1 Attachment(s)
I have a lot of hobbies. Cars (obviously). Woodworking. Metalworking/machining/fabrication. Home improvement. Electronics. Ultimately what they all have in common is tools. In fact, my wife asserts that I really have only one hobby - tool acquisition - and everything else is just justification for that. She's probably right. Taking a wild guess, I'd bet I'm not alone in this. So I thought I'd start a "check out this new tool" thread here so that the Dorki community can encourage each other to buy more tools. It's like having an AA meeting in a bar.

So I'll start - I mentioned this in the Welding Class thread, but this is my latest - the ART40 Pro-Tec surge suppressor. Small, easy to use and can serve double duty as nipple clamps for those with more BDSM inclinations. <cough> I mean, or so I've been told. $46 on Amazon, WaalMart or where ever, it allows you to weld on a car without disconnecting the battery or removing all of the electronics. So simple to use the instructions are printed on a business card. Clamp to battery, red = positibe, black = negative. No need to remove the battery and ECUs from the car when welding.

This is great for me because while with the 911 it's trivial to pull the DME for welding, my E46 needs some reinforcement plates in the rear and I do NOT feel like trying to unplug all the electronics from that car. And god forbid I ever have to weld on the E90. I have not used it yet, but the guys at Chaos Fab Shop swear by it, and they weld on modern cars with multiple ECUs on a daily basis.

Attachment 50305

Trak Ratt 02-23-2016 08:36 PM

L just ordered mine!!! Thanks for the tip.

ducatithunder 02-23-2016 09:17 PM

No shit. Thanks for the heads up. No more setting up the radio presets, lol.

Trak Ratt 03-07-2016 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spousal unit ordered me one of these for my b-day. Was waiting for me when I got back from CA.

Attachment 50464
DentFix Surge Protector - DF-601

Dent Fix
SKU: 1724
Price: $48.99

Protects Electronics & Out Performs The Rest!
  • Acting like a sponge to soak up electrical surges, this unit protects sensitive electronic components when mig and spot welding on a vehicle.
  • An Absolute must when jump starting.
  • No need to disconnect the battery for protection.
  • An LED indicates that the device is working and correctly connected. (nice for us older types)
  • Lifetime warranty

One thing I didn't pick up on at 1st is that these also protect electronics during jump starts and plasma cutting. I've had some problems with jumping some of our newer (though still old by Dorkiphus standards) Porsches.

Dr K 03-07-2016 01:12 PM

Looks VERY MUCH like the one they showed us at welding class, but at a significantly reduced price. Will buy one when I buy a welder (hopefully soon).

Peter

Jazzbass 03-07-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr K (Post 549617)
Looks VERY MUCH like the one they showed us at welding class, but at a significantly reduced price. Will buy one when I buy a welder (hopefully soon).

Peter

lol. I bought the exact one they showed in the Chaos welding class. I paid $0.18 less than DR. I'd bet good money they are all the exact same thing, made by the same factory and just rebranded accordingly.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Tools-A.../dp/B00C6VKWK4

Trak Ratt 03-07-2016 01:55 PM

Dang, $.18 premium! Agreed on same / same, though I've been married long enough not to ask why she got me the Dent Fix (free shipping??) vs other one, who's link I provided.

BTW, yours is smaller :p

Jazzbass 03-07-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak Ratt (Post 549635)
BTW, yours is smaller :p

True, but it's how you use it that really counts. Or so I've been told.

HoodPin 03-08-2016 03:49 PM

I ordered the Killer Tools item from Amazon, via 3rd Party Retailer. Received the DentFix model. Initially I was concerned, and was pursuing a return/refund. But I contacted Killer Tools directly, and the person I spoke with used to work for DentFix. He said the surge protectors are virtually identical inside. He suggested I not go through the return hassle and just keep it. Both models are warranted for life; not abuse, but if the indicator light ever stops working, return for a replacement. He said he has seen very few of either model need replacing. I contacted the vendor that sold it to me through Amazon, and he confirmed it is warranted for life, and I could contact them directly for replacement if ever needed.

N0tt0N 03-08-2016 04:24 PM

Same