Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Track Talk (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   to girodisc or not to girodisc (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=39664)

Otto 04-22-2019 01:35 PM

to girodisc or not to girodisc

is it better to go with a bbk from stoptech, ap, or brembo for $3k-$4k per axle or to simply go with existing calipers, caliper studs with spacers, and slightly larger floating disc rotors from girodisc for way less than $3k for both axles?

i am leaning girodisc

i would also upgrade the brake lines, add a trw/gt3 master, and gt2 front brake ducts, along with wheel studs

and this is the big ask!

do any of my pca friends with a lift want to help make this conversion this saturday?

981 cayman s wrenching experience would be helpful :lol:

crazy i know

otto

jhsmith 04-22-2019 02:47 PM

Use less brakes. Makes you go faster. :)

BillC 04-22-2019 04:57 PM

It might be better to try the car as-is, before throwing a ton of money at it. Especially if you're trying to "fix" something that may not be a problem.

tbernard 04-22-2019 05:41 PM

Never had any issues with the brakes on my 981S, running in red. I was running Ferodo brake pads. Like Bill says try the car first.

Otto 04-22-2019 06:39 PM

yes, less brakes, go faster, i like that

i can hold off for now

just do a brake flush and some pads

but what pads?

i will be getting them from og racing

trytryagain 04-22-2019 06:56 PM

Having run Girodisc for three years on my base 981 Cayman, I like them, but would say that they mainly provide a longer life replacement for OEM drilled rotors, rather than a marked upgrade in braking performance. The OEM drilled rotors will crack quickly (a few events) when using aggressive track brake pads. It is certainly true that as driving improves so does brake component lifespan, but only to a point.

Tires also matter. Does it pay to run a BBK unless running Hoosiers? ABS kick in may also be a limiting factor?

One other thing I vaguely recall about the S is that you can buy relatively inexpensive slotted rotors for the fronts from the same manufacturer as the OEM drilled rotors (help me out guys I can’t remember the name.). That would be an option to consider for the near term.

I could help you install rotors and pads but would be hesitant about changing out the calipers. Never done that and would hate to $#& things up right before the DE.

trytryagain 04-22-2019 06:58 PM

Performance friction 08 works well.

Shizzly 04-22-2019 08:43 PM

Put pads and fluid in it and drive it first. It's really less about braking power and more about feel, heat management, and convenience in maintenance.

The only thing I'll say is whatever you decide to do, take care of the caliper bolt issue. I think that's a safety issue.

Jabs1542 04-23-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trytryagain (Post 621487)
One other thing I vaguely recall about the S is that you can buy relatively inexpensive slotted rotors for the fronts from the same manufacturer as the OEM drilled rotors (help me out guys I can’t remember the name.). That would be an option to consider for the near term.

Are you referring to Sebro?

Jabs1542 04-23-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizzly (Post 621494)
The only thing I'll say is whatever you decide to do, take care of the caliper bolt issue. I think that's a safety issue.

YES!!!