Dorkiphus.net

Dorkiphus.net (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php)
-   Track Talk (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Bucket List Track Weekends (https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=39131)

edw 09-12-2018 11:08 PM

Bucket List Track Weekends

Hey,
Starting a thread for a little winter speculation.

Curious if some folks would be interested in shipping their cars to those 'Bucket List' tracks we all watch on TV and think about driving. Turning a major zero birthday this coming year, and thinking it might be a good time to jump out of the mid-Atlantic and drive some classics... Road Atlanta, COTA, Laguna Seca, etc.

So...where would you send your car? Have you any lessons learned from trying this? And would you jump in?

EdW
#37 Cayman S

hberwald 09-13-2018 09:11 AM

Mt. Tremblant

Chopper Dropper 09-13-2018 12:14 PM

If you are doing Mt Tremblant find a weekend that will also match up with Mosport. Have done both 3 times and a blast. Mt Tremblant can be reached in a day.
Dirk

Shizzly 09-13-2018 01:12 PM

COTA COTA COTA but this is probably dependent on the car. It's on my list, but requires me to plan out about a year.

Der ABT 09-13-2018 02:11 PM

Been pretty lucky.
Sebring....love it
Road America is amazing
Road atlanta is definately fun
Mid ohio
Watkins
Lime rock

still on list to visit

Mosport
Cota just because, heard its not a favorite
Daytona/indy....just bc of history but also hear visit and no need to go back.
Barber
Thunderhill
Hallett etc....
Nurburg been but didnt get to drive
Spa
Etc.

I will be at rennsport / Laguna in 2 weeks will report back.

Just do it, bring EVERY spare imaginable, try to run with groups that may have the same car, in case you don't have a spare and they do
Or look at renting arrive and drive type (miata or whatever)

Lastly look for back to back events in case you break and need to wait for a part

trytryagain 09-13-2018 02:12 PM

Seems like a nice circuit could be made w/WG, Mt. Tremblant and Mosport. I’d do it!

Jabs1542 09-13-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der ABT (Post 611944)
Daytona/indy....just bc of history but also hear visit and no need to go back.

Went to Indy this year, MUCH more fun than expected. Will go again, probably next year.

edw 09-13-2018 07:35 PM

Ok - this is more fun than I expected!

Seems like there might be a "lite" option to sling together Mosport and Mt Tremblant around WG next year. That should kill a set of tires and brakes, but might just be able to pull it off without major logistics support.

Then there's Indy - hadn't thought about that much but I watched the SCCA runoff's last year and it looked great. And of course the history...

Then COTA and the West Coast...that'll take cat shipping for me, or early retirement...

Already have enough to keep mr thinking/dreaming all winter.
Thanks!
Ed

qwk_croc 09-14-2018 08:40 AM

I'd be down for a Mosport / Mt Tremblant / WGI run.

racer 09-14-2018 02:28 PM

If you're hitting those Canadian tracks, throw in Calabogie.. get it all over with at once!

Road Atlanta.
Road America.
Laguna Seca
Sonoma (the old style motorcycle course, not the panzy nascar set up ;) )