PDA

View Full Version : Boxster for DE

jsaindc
05-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know what the policy is on helmet clearance for Boxsters in DE Events. I have heard different things. I understand that you need to use a roll bar extension and have 2 inches clearance with the broom stick test. Is it really 2 inches and do you still need that clearance with a hardtop? I only have about an inch with the extension. :?

BillJ
05-24-2005, 11:05 AM
You will want to go to www.pcapotomac.org and email the tech chair to get that answer :)

If you have the hardtop and the extension then I "think" you will be ok. I am not the final word - I just work here 8)

BlackTalon
05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
From the Potomac Web Site:

Can I drive my Cabriolet (or Boxster)?
Yes – but safety is our first concern. The following rules apply to driving a Cabriolet (cab) or a Boxster on track:

1) At all tracks EXCEPT VIR, the 996 pop-up roll bar and the Boxster integral roll hoops are considered acceptable, subject to the 2-inch rule (see below). An extender manufactured by Brey-Krause is available for the Boxster if additional bar height is required.

2) At VIR ONLY, the 996 pop-up roll bar is NOT considered acceptable. Cabs require a roll bar that meets club race specs.

3) At VIR ONLY, the Boxster roll hoops alone are NOT considered acceptable. The Brey-Krause extender MUST be attached and the driver must meet the 2-inch rule.

The 2-inch rule: With the driver strapped in, the top of the driver’s helmet must be 2 inches below a line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar.

The Potomac Region is responsible for enforcing this policy by its contracts with the tracks. Failure to comply could result in loss of rental privileges, so we are serious about this.

TD in DC
05-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I have the Brey Krause Extension kit with the optional padding for sale. PM me if interested.

jsaindc
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Bill and Dave, Thanks. I sent a message to the DE Chair about the use of a hardtop as it is not mentioned on the site. The big problem with the Boxster is that you can not adjust the seat much and as a result I am just to big.

Tony I sent a PM to you.

CrewChief
05-25-2005, 07:21 AM
... The big problem with the Boxster is that you can not adjust the seat much ...

No less than former Potomac Tech Queen and National Tech Lady Donna Amico has said that the seat ends up the culprit for Boxster drivers. Some of us just don't fit in some cars. Even as short as I (am) I do not fit in a Boxster per the clearance rules.

The Tech Chair will no doubt check in with a definitive answer shortly; in the interim, FWIW, I do believe the hardtop has been used in the past with the possible exception of VIR.

Vicegrip
05-25-2005, 07:40 AM
No he won't. I asked him and he plans to discus this directly with the owner.

True, the reasons that the Boxster clearance issue comes up so often is a combination of two things. A high seat and a somewhat low bar to start with. The BK extension helps some and also adds a safety factor by tying two hoops together. I recommend this addition for all Boxsters that will see much track time. A track seat mounted low works wonders too.

"Hard top" is a misnomer. FG or thin AL is not so hard when the rest of the car is above it or a GT3 is trying mount it for a quicky.

(That reminds me Betty, when will Patrick be back on the track?)

Robert in Potomac
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
For what is is worth, I was permitted to drive my first Boxster in a SP PCA DE - with the hardtop. I was not permitted to drive my second Boxster, as I did not have a hardtop for that one.

I am now driving my tt cab (with pop up roll bars) and trying very hard not to "pop" them.

Robert

bettyc
05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
[/quote]"Hard top" is a misnomer. FG or thin AL is not so hard when the rest of the car is above it or a GT3 is trying mount it for a quicky.[quote]

And I can attest to that. The rear fender fiberglass on the 914 shredded so fast when it was hit that a rather large chunk came flying in the passenger window (glad there was no one sitting there!). The only reason that the roof didn't shatter was because it became disconnected from the hinge in the rear and moved out of the way. Which brings up the other item about removable roofs. They are usually attached at only a few points and I don't see them staying in place in the event of a rollover or as Kurt describes "a quicky".

The only reason I have a roof on the 914 is to put something between me and flying debris, rain etc. There is a full roll cage and lots of head clearance with a racing seat on the floor.

Patrick will be reappearing at the August DE. He's not recuperating as quickly as I would have liked but he's in line behind Gary's yellow monster so what can I say?

Don Wohlfarth
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Patrick will be reappearing at the August DE. He's not recuperating as quickly as I would have liked but he's in line behind Gary's yellow monster so what can I say?
Uh, how about "the sqeaking wheel gets the grease?" 8)
Any truth to the rumor that you came down with that expensive disease called "Leschanderitis" while Patrick was under the knife? :roll:

jsaindc
05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for eveyones replies. Betty you bring up a great point. I need to keep safety first. The hardtop is not going to provide much protection. As a result I am going to keep my 944 for the track and use the Boxster for Autocross.

bettyc
05-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Good choice Jim. You don't appreciate safety completely until you see a bad accident or become what could have been one. The 944 can be a blast at the track. Especially when cars with more hp are forced to give you a passing signal. :P

expensive disease called "Leschanderitis" while Patrick was under the knife

Actually.... no. There will be a few minor changes to the car in the interests of lightening it up and making it easier to work on but nothing extensive or radical. I leave that to Gary. Now I'm going to go practice sounding "squeaky". :?