PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Ohio Shift Point Question

TD in DC
04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
For all of you who attended the Mid-Ohio Instructional Video Viewing, you know that the tape was excellent. The only issue that I have with it is that it is a little difficult to tell how fast some of the corners are, and what gear I can expect to be in. I know that the answer to that question is very car, and somewhat driver, dependent, but it would be helpful if any of you experts out there could shed some light no that by turn number.

Since I am asking the question and I have a 996, I would really like to have some advice on that, but I am sure my oil-cooled brethren would like some advice on that as well. Specifically, what gear should I expect to be in for each of the turns?

On a completely different topic, have you guys seen the green list yet? Only 22 cars but some seriously nice (and fast) machinery. A couple of 996 TTs, a couple of GT3s, a 997S or two (If I remember correctly). . . Wow

Also, unfortunately, the weather forecast was showing rain for all three days . . .

TD

Chopper Dropper
04-25-2005, 10:34 AM
TD don't get hung up on gear shifts.You will have your instructor to keep you right and you will want to concentrate on learning the line and flagging stations first.I often keep students to absolute minimal gear shifting or even 3rd gear the whole first session so they can concentrate on the important stuff, not racing down the straights in 6th!!. Its still early days for forecasts. currently 30% chances which is 70% no rain!!
Dirk

TD in DC
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
TD don't get hung up on gear shifts.You will have your instructor to keep you right and you will want to concentrate on learning the line and flagging stations first.I often keep students to absolute minimal gear shifting or even 3rd gear the whole first session so they can concentrate on the important stuff, not racing down the straights in 6th!!. Its still early days for forecasts. currently 30% chances which is 70% no rain!!
Dirk

Dirk,

I hear you, but I was really asking more to add perspective to the video. For example, the commentator frequently says things like "Turn 1 is the fastest corner on the track, and many cars take this with very little, if any, braking." While we were at my house, I said "Really, even in my car?" and Tony and Kurt said, "no no, you will need to brake."

Since the video is shot from the driver's perspective, you cannot see the driver braking, shifting or steering. I honestly have no idea about the speeds that he is taking any of the corners. I was really just asking more so that I could get a better feel for what they mean by "fast." Don't worry, I actually take instruction very seriously, and I am not out to be boy racer in green group. :wink:

The real answer is that I cannot stop thinking about Mid-Ohio, even while I should be working. :shock:

TD in DC

William Miller
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
22 in green. Still openings?

Alan Herod
04-25-2005, 11:37 AM
email or call the registrar Bob Novas. For sure some of the folks in Green will be moving up or should be in Blue already.

Vicegrip
04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
The Green and Blue groups almost never fill up for away events and if they do it is not right away. Waitlisted for Summit? Try an away event. The down side is driving there and back. The up side, You will get more track time. You will become a better driver than folks that only do Summit. You will get more track time. You will find that there is a lot of good fun off the track going out to dinner and meeting other like minded folks. Did I mention you will get more track time and you will become a better driver? Better drivers move up faster too. :twisted:

Alan Herod
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Try this for the 'bandwagon' approach. 'Almost all the Dorkis will be there.' For what its worth, I agree with Dirk and stay 3rd most of the time, back and front straight are good for fourth. I may short shift to fifth for car preservation. Corkscrew and Keyhole, can use 2nd; but, this is DE and car preservation may indicate more prudent/temperate driving. With the six speed 996, you may be more inclined to use more gears.

Chopper Dropper
04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Only suggesting keeping it in 3rd whilst the student learns the track somewhat.Getting the line right and knowing the flag stations is first.Worrying about gear changes tends to take the focus away.I am not advocating 7500 RPM in 3rd etc, just not too get too involved in planning details which will be more enjoyable when worked through with instruction. Kurt is right on, away events are worth the time and money, 3 days on the track, usually on tracks where you see the big boys on TV and you can criticize Andrettis line etc from expeience. I believe there is a plan in the discussion stages, where especially, green and blue who do "away" events may get some kind of priority to "home " events.
Dirk

Alan Herod
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Still concur with other posters. Reduce the things that you have to worry about use third gear and learn the track, when your workload comes down, add new things - like more shifting. Regardless there are not going to be huge gains (relatively speaking) in either the corkscrew or keyhole using lower gear. You do increase the opportunity for bent valves or broken rocker as they are high workload areas.

Jazzbass
04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I think Todd's biggest worry is trying to figure out when he'll be able take a pull on his latte while going around the course. He wants to make sure he hits the shift points right to make extra time for drinking or talking on his cell phone. Todd, I suggest short shifting into 5th at the beginning of the back straight - that should give you plenty of hands free time :wink:.

Jase007
04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Todd, I suggest short shifting into 5th at the beginning of the back straight - that should give you plenty of hands free time .

Sorry Todd but that was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jase

TD in DC
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I think Todd's biggest worry is trying to figure out when he'll be able take a pull on his latte while going around the course. He wants to make sure he hits the shift points right to make extra time for drinking or talking on his cell phone. Todd, I suggest short shifting into 5th at the beginning of the back straight - that should give you plenty of hands free time :wink:.

How many times do I have to tell you guys: I simply have to plug the track into nav, input my driving level (I am supposed to put in green but I ususally put in blue), hit cruise control, and then let PSM take over. The only reason you see my hands on the steering wheel and shifter in my videos is that I don't want to make anybody else feel bad. ;)

TD in DC
04-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I believe there is a plan in the discussion stages, where especially, green and blue who do "away" events may get some kind of priority to "home " events.
Dirk

Sounds good to me.

TD in DC
04-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Still concur with other posters. Reduce the things that you have to worry about use third gear and learn the track, when your workload comes down, add new things - like more shifting. Regardless there are not going to be huge gains (relatively speaking) in either the corkscrew or keyhole using lower gear. You do increase the opportunity for bent valves or broken rocker as they are high workload areas.

I understand, and, trust me, I follow my instructor's directions in the car (usually better the second day because I have had a chance to rewatch the tapes, hear again what is being said, and allow the advice to soak in a little more). It is just sort of surreal watching the instructional video without any idea of how fast the cars are actually taking the turns. Also, just because I know that most drivers take turn 1 at X mph in Y gear doesn't mean I would go out and try to replicate it, although I imagine that some would, which would tend to make instuctor types nervous about my question. ;)

In reality, I care most about (1) not hurting the instructor or myself; (2) not hurting my car; and (3) becoming a very good driver (despite having a car that some of my fellow Dorkis claim masks my errors -- which is undoubtedly true as much as it pains me to admit it).

Actually, the same surreal aspect of speed is true in my own car. I typically just concentrate on driving without paying any attention to the speedometer or tach apart from keeping the engine in the right zone. After seeing my own in car video, I was a little surprised at the speeds I was driving (both faster and slower) at certain points of the track. For example, I was surprised at the speeds through the climbing esses and down the hill coming up to oaktree.

Don Wohlfarth
04-25-2005, 05:13 PM
I hear you, but I was really asking more to add perspective to the video. For example, the commentator frequently says things like "Turn 1 is the fastest corner on the track, and many cars take this with very little, if any, braking." While we were at my house, I said "Really, even in my car?" and Tony and Kurt said, "no no, you will need to brake." TD in DC
Tod, you've just identified one of the problems with track videos. What will work for a driver that may have hundreds of laps on a particular track in a well set up track car may not be the best information for a novice driver that is still learning the limits of his car on a track that he has never driven.
Most track videos have a very narrow field of vision showing only the track at fairly high speed. What is really needed is a broader panorama so you have a better idea of where you are on the track for a particular turn.
After you've driven a track for several days watching the videos will give you a better understanding of what the video is showing you.

TD in DC
04-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the info.

I am so psyched for Mid Ohio. My instructor will be Harleigh Ewell, about whom I have heard nothing but good things. I think that he is sharing a garage with Alan H. I think that Alan and I have met, but I am not placing a face to the name, but I am sure we will meet this weekend.

New tires, new brakes, things should be great.

Last night, I realized that the Mid-Ohio instructional video has a couple of laps without any commentary at the end of the tape after the credits. This really helped because you could see the lap at real time and you could hear the engine and the shifts. Should be fun.